The Student Room Group

Does America hate Britain? Or does it love to hate Britain? Or does it not care?

I can't work out which one it is sometimes. When I went there there were adverts designed purely to mock the Queen. Which made me think it's the love to hate thing, but there was a hint of animosity behind it which makes me wonder if they really truly hate us.
Either way, I do find it hilarious the way the yanks are under some illusion that we worship the Queen and won't have a bad word said about her.
Reply 2
Certainly values Britain as an ally.

But ultimately cares far less than people think.

As other countries emerge, Britain is becoming increasingly insignificant to America.
Reply 3
Original post by The_Last_Melon
I can't work out which one it is sometimes. When I went there there were adverts designed purely to mock the Queen. Which made me think it's the love to hate thing, but there was a hint of animosity behind it which makes me wonder if they really truly hate us.

tbfh, they don't care about Britain so much. Britain is simply way too small to be a major rival or threat for US. But they certainly find UK as a useful mediator to EU (or a member of EU), and there is no hate at least. In fact, many Americans like British traditions.
Their opinion of the United Kingdom is irrelevant; they need it as much as the U.K. needs them. Politics and trade is very often about interests rather than 'likeability'.
I think the American see us as "an American State".
I personally also feel they are using us with their foreign policy agendas
Reply 6

You clearly don't know any history, America used to be a British Colony.
Reply 7

THAT'S WHY THEY HAVE INDEPENDENCE DAY ON THE 4TH OF JULY, TO CELEBRATE THEIR FREEDOM FROM BRITAIN.

Ignoramus.

Most former colonies countries don't like their Host Country after liberation.
Rightwing US likes the UK, leftwing US doesn't like or doesn't care about the UK.

However, the UK only likes leftwing US, not rightwing US.
I think the average American joe generally has a very positive opinion of the UK. We score very highly from America in opinion polls and are often the country they view the most positive. They also visit the UK in droves and spend a tonne of cash over here. From what I've seen online there's a great appreciation for our commitment in the War on Terror. I think most Americans would consider themselves Anglophiles.
Politically however I think the American 'establishment' doesn't really give two hoots about the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending