Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

School withholding results watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Im just wondering, my school says if you dont return your books, you wont get your results (gcse).

Can they actually do this?!

Surely they are the candidates property, and all this is false/blackmail?

ReputationRep:
    Yes its possible. The only other way to get your results would be to go to the examining board's offices with some id. Or a better idea, give your books back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by towny)
    Im just wondering, my school says if you dont return your books, you wont get your results (gcse).

Can they actually do this?!

Surely they are the candidates property, and all this is false/blackmail?
    i suppose it depends on your school. i didn't return most of my gcse text books and have lost my a-level ones. they still gave me my results though, despite saying they wouldn't unless i gave back all of my textbooks. lying fascists.

i suppose it doesn't matter so much if your school refuses to give you your a-level results as they are available online and your university gets them before you do.

does anyone know if your school really can refuse to give you your grades?

ReputationRep:
    Your school can indeed withhold your results, they are well within their legal entitlements as well.

ReputationRep:
    Balls. It's scare tactics. But why would you want to hang on to textbooks anyway?

ReputationRep:
    My school did the same thing. I had the books with me on results day just in case but they didn't ask for them. I gave them back at the beginning of the next year.

ReputationRep:
    They can not withold the results. If they do you can ring up the boards, explain what has happened and they will give you them. Alternatly you tell the head master that you know your rights and he must give you the results and take you to the small claims court for the books at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    our school threatened that- we had a pink slip with all our subjects on it, when we returned a textbook we had to get it signed, and when everything had been signed we had to hand it in to whoever was giving out our results, and only then we'd get them. hvaing said that a lot of people still didn't bother bringing books back.

ReputationRep:
    But why would you want to keep your books?

I'm desperately trying to get rid of mine, especially the ones that I bought.

yes our school did that last year

however i still have quite a lot of my books..oops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparklyteacosie)
    yes our school did that last year

however i still have quite a lot of my books..oops
    I was going through my bookshelf yesterday and I counted 35 school textbooks. Bringing back my books will be a chore.

ReputationRep:
    We have a form which we have to get signed one teacher for each subject when we hand our books back, the resource base and library (to say we dont owe any books there), the canteen (to say we dont owe money), put down our locker number (which you have to hunt down your key to get the number off) THEN hand it to the head of sixth form (and no-one else)....
    I've got it all signed, just haven't handed it in yet! Finding the head of 6th form is like finding a needle in a haystack most days.... she just seems to disappear.

Donna
    -x-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    I was going through my bookshelf yesterday and I counted 35 school textbooks. Bringing back my books will be a chore.
    I had more textbooks than you to return! Most of them came from Biology, History and books I never got around to returning last year - I still recieved my AS results despite threats from my teachers. I think I managed to return them on time this year because I wanted my £40 deposit I paid at the start of sixth form! I would return my books ASAP, because you're going to have to return them at some point, esp if you have scary teachers who don't intend to buy new textbooks for next year out of the precious school fund.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.