Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so I've looked at the information on here and rang student finance but the information conflicts and now I'm kinda confused so I'm hoping for a more concrete answer.

I'm coming to the end of my first year at university, on my first course 3 year course, i found the course wasn't quite what i was looking for and have had considerable extenuating circumstances (bereavement, mental disorder diagnosis) which together just basically just made the course go to hell

I've found another course that seems more appropriate for me and will take me where i want to go but I've now had a full year of funding (leaving my course early would have left me ejected from halls with nowhere to live, and i wouldn't be able to deal with that on top of everything else while trying to sort y life out a bit)

the course I've found is a 5 year joint degree (1 year is from a foundation year but is a part of said degree)

come the end of this academic year i will leave my current course and will have no qualification from it.

will I be able to receive funding for the entirety of this new joint degree despite having had a year of funding previously?

also i received the max loan and grant from student finance on account of the fact my mother is disabled and unable to work, therefore living on benefits, will i be able to receive the max loan and grant on this 5 year degree aswell?

if i can receive the funding, how do i need to go about getting it, is there anything i need to do aside from fill out my application to student finance england?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by musicmanjames)
    so I've looked at the information on here and rang student finance but the information conflicts and now I'm kinda confused so I'm hoping for a more concrete answer.

I'm coming to the end of my first year at university, on my first course 3 year course, i found the course wasn't quite what i was looking for and have had considerable extenuating circumstances (bereavement, mental disorder diagnosis) which together just basically just made the course go to hell

I've found another course that seems more appropriate for me and will take me where i want to go but I've now had a full year of funding (leaving my course early would have left me ejected from halls with nowhere to live, and i wouldn't be able to deal with that on top of everything else while trying to sort y life out a bit)

the course I've found is a 5 year joint degree (1 year is from a foundation year but is a part of said degree)

come the end of this academic year i will leave my current course and will have no qualification from it.

will I be able to receive funding for the entirety of this new joint degree despite having had a year of funding previously?

also i received the max loan and grant from student finance on account of the fact my mother is disabled and unable to work, therefore living on benefits, will i be able to receive the max loan and grant on this 5 year degree aswell?

if i can receive the funding, how do i need to go about getting it, is there anything i need to do aside from fill out my application to student finance england?
    Student finance will cover your new course if it is recorded as a 5 year course (and that's what the university tell SLC).

Funding covers the length of your course + 1 gift year - any years of previous study.

This means that when you first apply for funding for the new course it will be worthwhile mentioning your current studies and sending evidence of your Compelling Personal Reasons for changing course (bereavement and mental illness are both acceptable). If accepted then your previous study will not be counted in the calculation above. That will mean you will have funding for your entire new course plus you'll still have a gift year if things go wrong and you need to resit a year.

You should apply as a continuing student ASAP for the new course - any delays due to sending evidence or queries about the new course could delay your funding in the Autumn.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.