The Student Room Group

Dont know what to put as first option for university...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ninjasayshi
So I have been given all my offers back and my insurance choice is Leeds trinity studying psychology as they only want an EE which means I am bound to get it.
However I am unsure of which course to put as my first choice. My options are
Huddersfield:
Psychology
Sociology and Psychology
Psychology and Criminology
The minimum they are wanting for these is BCD and I just don't know which to choose...

Psychology is the most popular degree course taken by students in the UK, so personally I would go with combined honors always with psychology as your entering an already full market with high job competition, make sure you are aware of this.

Due to psychology being this way, often the jobs on offer here will have the pick of the bunch, and quite often people from "better" universities (need higher entry requirements to get in, better research standards etc.) will take these jobs over the others. I know this because my sister is considering psychology as a degree and we spoke to some psychologists and they said that it really is cut throat, the unis themselves did mention that most psychology students will not end up becoming what they intended to become because they would end up searching for years for the right job. also keep in mind that if your going for something unrelated to psychology often science graduates are favoured over humanities graduates.

I personally would keep your options open and do psychology and sociology due to the flooded market. also sociology is a great degree with a lot of interesting content.
Original post by Natalierm2707
Psychology is the most popular degree course taken by students in the UK, so personally I would go with combined honors always with psychology as your entering an already full market with high job competition, make sure you are aware of this.

Due to psychology being this way, often the jobs on offer here will have the pick of the bunch, and quite often people from "better" universities (need higher entry requirements to get in, better research standards etc.) will take these jobs over the others. I know this because my sister is considering psychology as a degree and we spoke to some psychologists and they said that it really is cut throat, the unis themselves did mention that most psychology students will not end up becoming what they intended to become because they would end up searching for years for the right job. also keep in mind that if your going for something unrelated to psychology often science graduates are favoured over humanities graduates.

I personally would keep your options open and do psychology and sociology due to the flooded market. also sociology is a great degree with a lot of interesting content.

You're almost right but she's far off better doing BSc Psychology on its own than a combined degree with Sociology as you gain more employable skills in pure Psychology (Sociology is far more useless and it's known in the job market for being a degree Clearing students get into). Unless she does something like Psychology and ____ (a science) then she's better of with a single honours in Psychology than combining it with sociology as psychology on its own is considered somewhat of a science.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by orphan_black
You're almost right but she's far off better doing BSc Psychology on its own than a combined degree with Sociology as you gain more employable skills in pure Psychology. Unless she does something like Psychology and ____ (a science) then she's better of with a single honours in Psychology than combining it with sociology as psychology on its own is considered somewhat of a science.

What I said Is just what I heard from speaking to admissions tutors and students when I went to look around psychology departments with my sister. It depends on whether its BA or BSC also. I wouldn't do BA psychology on its own (from recommendations from students its not as employable), but BSC psychology would be good alone as it stands stronger.

you cannot say psychology is considered as a science without knowing the context of the degree and modules, like I said BSC and BA make a huge world of difference here.
Original post by Natalierm2707
What I said Is just what I heard from speaking to admissions tutors and students when I went to look around psychology departments with my sister. It depends on whether its BA or BSC also. I wouldn't do BA psychology on its own (from recommendations from students its not as employable), but BSC psychology would be good alone as it stands stronger.

you cannot say psychology is considered as a science without knowing the context of the degree and modules, like I said BSC and BA make a huge world of difference here.

Yes exactly, that's why I said a BSc Psychology degree is better than a BA in Psych/sociology. You're literally just repeating what I said lol.
Original post by orphan_black
Yes exactly, that's why I said a BSc Psychology degree is better than a BA in Psych/sociology. You're literally just repeating what I said lol.

Sorry because you only mentioned BSC psychology i got the impression you were just talking about that. didnt realise you were inferred about BA also.
No worries^

@ninjasayshi If you want to do psychology I'd try getting amazing grades and going through adjustment as the unis you've mentioned (alongside Psychology itself) will almost lead you to nothing.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
You said yourself that you are the first in your area to be accepted - aim higher. Believe me I have knowledge in this area - universities can be very seductive - offer burseries to come here and great conditions etc. I will lay a pound to a penny that they have offered to pay most of your fees and have guaranteed your accommodations and then they will guarantee you a placement and a job...

Well i can tell you they haven't offered me anything. So don't think you know everything. I was offered it as where I live most people are over 70 or under 15 so neither groups have been to uni.
Well i can tell you they haven't offered me anything. So don't think you know everything. I was offered it as where I live most people are over 70 or under 15 so neither groups have been to uni.

Good - so accept their offer and look forward to a lovely future
Good - so accept their offer and look forward to a lovely future

I agree with you but then there are people who say stuff like follow your dreams like idiots.

Do a strong degree at a good uni. Do a foundation year and then progress o to a good degree this can be done as I'm doing it at bham uni for comp Sci. Maybe 1 yr access course than go to uni after.

I know 2 people who did this

Don't be afraid to take a year or 2 out. Psychology wanting EE is like gonna be an ultra shitty course with no effort needed and no job. Not to say I have a job lined up but my degree will be much more favorable than yours will. It is a fact Same as an Oxford degree will crush my bham degree but at least I don't be dismissed instantly . But a strong Russell group will give you a much greater chance of getting a job than an extremely poor uni. Be wise you get one student loan.

Listen to squirrel he knows what he is talking sbout
Original post by Lawbringer
I agree with you but then there are people who say stuff like follow your dreams like idiots.

Do a strong degree at a good uni. Do a foundation year and then progress o to a good degree this can be done as I'm doing it at bham uni for comp Sci. Maybe 1 yr access course than go to uni after.

I know 2 people who did this

Don't be afraid to take a year or 2 out. Psychology wanting EE is like gonna be an ultra shitty course with no effort needed and no job. Not to say I have a job lined up but my degree will be much more favorable than yours will. It is a fact Same as an Oxford degree will crush my bham degree but at least I don't be dismissed instantly . But a strong Russell group will give you a much greater chance of getting a job than an extremely poor uni. Be wise you get one student loan.

Listen to squirrel he knows what he is talking sbout

I'm not going to listen to him he's basically said I'm not going to get anywhere and I will never be able to get the grades for a Russell group plus I have chosen unis close to me as I can't afford others. Plus why would I change last minute?
Everyone posting on this read my first post I wasn't asking you all to slate saying I will get nowhere I was simply asking for help to choose between the three choices but thanks for all the hope of getting nowhere in life
Everyone posting on this read my first post I wasn't asking you all to slate saying I will get nowhere I was simply asking for help to choose between the three choices but thanks for all the hope of getting nowhere in life

You can get a job in psychology as long as you recognise that it's going to be challenging; try to get placements every summer in a department you're interested or helping with some research at your university and then try to get a relevant part time job as well; support workers are always in demand. Try looking at forums like clinpsy for help.Experience is so much more important than uni ranking.

And as I said before, double check that all these courses are BPS approved; combined courses sometimes aren't, and you really need that to go onto professional psychology.

Good luck! :smile:
im predicted BCC and some sort of counselling or profiling :smile:

If this is the route you're interested in then see if any of the universities also offer an IAPT CBT course for graduates. These are paid training jobs where you're released 1/2 days a week to study to get a certificate in delivering therapies. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/psychological-therapies/psychological-wellbeing-practitioner is the eventual job.

It's possible to sometimes find training posts for this course/job for non-graduates but generally a lot of experience is required for that route (and a degree at a university offering the post graduate route is likely to offer more opportunities for gaining relevant experience)
So I have been given all my offers back and my insurance choice is Leeds trinity studying psychology as they only want an EE which means I am bound to get it.
However I am unsure of which course to put as my first choice. My options are
Huddersfield:
Psychology
Sociology and Psychology
Psychology and Criminology
The minimum they are wanting for these is BCD and I just don't know which to choose...

And now seeing as noone has actually offered any real specific advice:

Have a look at your choices on unistats - make sure to click through the various tabs (Employment, Student satisfaction and Study information should give you the most useful information)

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10003863FT-PSYCHSH/ReturnTo/Search Leeds Trinity
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/study/10007148FT-00000056/ReturnTo/Search Huddersfield Psych
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007148FT-00006279/ReturnTo/Search Huddersfield Soc & Psych
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjects/Overview/10007148FT-00000059/ReturnTo/Search Huddersfield Psych & Crim

The Huddersfield course is a LOT bigger (over double the students in each year) which might mean you get a bit less attention.

Is there a reason that you didn't apply to the Huddersfield Psych and Counselling degree? Or the Leeds Trinity Counselling Psychology? Both seem more suited to your long term goals?

Have a look through the reviews for both universities. There are some on TSR (on the uni Match tool) but they seem a bit random tbh.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/huddersfield/student-reviews and http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/leeds-trinity/student-reviews is one source
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-huddersfield-h60 and http://university.which.co.uk/leeds-trinity-university-l24 is another

Picking 1 choice from 3 at Huddersfield means you can very likely change your mind at any point. Most universities will let you swap courses within a few weeks of starting in the Autumn (and some will let you swap as late as second year if you've picked compatible modules). Ask Huddersfield what flexibility you'd have - if they're happy for switches then you can pick one for now to meet the UCAS requirements with the comfort of knowing you can change later on.
For everyone asking all the courses are bps certified apart from the sociology one which is certified with the sociology board (not sure what it's called)
Is there a reason that you didn't apply to the Huddersfield Psych and Counselling degree? Or the Leeds Trinity Counselling Psychology? Both seem more suited to your long term goals?

Well I didn't go that route because I thought that if I take a broader subject then I still have the ability to change my mind during my course rather than possibly being stuck with counselling ( if that makes sense)
Reply 35
I’m thinking of counselling psychology and possibly leeds trinity im doing 2 and half s levels because one level and one btec so im not sure I’ll get in please help ??
This year there will be thousands of graduates - most will not get a job in their chosen field. Are you honestly telling me a degree in criminology from some rubbish university is going to trump a degree from an RG uni.

My three children - 2 science, 1 humanities - guess who struggled to find a job.

This nonsense has been going on for years - get real - the university the degree the A levels, the GCSEs - they are all an issue

Get of your kids account ? Lol
Original post by Aimee_101
Get of your kids account ? Lol

My account actually. And you will find there are many "older" members of TSR. We provide advice and guidance for younger rather ignorant posters like yourself.

You are also making the grossly incorrect assumption that just because you are beyond the acne stage you cannot become a student. One of the TSRians posted photo this week of her graduation ceremony. She is 70.

Quick Reply

Latest