Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently on a 3 year course however I'm dropping out. The course was NHS funded but I did get a maintenance loan from Student Finance.

1) will I be required to pay the maintenance loan back immediately?

2) will I get funding for my new 3 year course or not?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by squiggles_96)
    Hi,

I am currently on a 3 year course however I'm dropping out. The course was NHS funded but I did get a maintenance loan from Student Finance.

1) will I be required to pay the maintenance loan back immediately?

2) will I get funding for my new 3 year course or not?
    1) if you drop out before the end of the year then you will have to repay any "overpayment" immediately. This isn't the entirety of the loan but is likely to be a substantial amount of the final payment you've received.

2) If you're leaving after 1 year of your current course then you will get funding for your new course - but the year you've studied already uses up your "gift" year so if you re-start again or need to repeat and entire year then any additional years won't be funded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1) if you drop out before the end of the year then you will have to repay any "overpayment" immediately. This isn't the entirety of the loan but is likely to be a substantial amount of the final payment you've received.

2) If you're leaving after 1 year of your current course then you will get funding for your new course - but the year you've studied already uses up your "gift" year so if you re-start again or need to repeat and entire year then any additional years won't be funded.

Thank for your response.
    1) what if I used the maintenance loan to pay for my final instalment of rent?

2) what if I drop out 3 months before my 1st year ends? Will that affect my funding?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thank for your response.
    1) what if I used the maintenance loan to pay for my final instalment of rent?

2) what if I drop out 3 months before my 1st year ends? Will that affect my funding?
    1) Then they'll expect you to find the funds from somewhere to repay - any outstanding debts will prevent you getting payments in future
    2) Yes. If you want to be funded for the entire year then you need to COMPLETE the year. That means attend exams and lectures as required by your university and submit work as requested. You don't have to PASS the year. To get funding for the year you must stay officially on your course until August at the earliest.
    It wont affect your funding at any future university - a part-year uses up your entire gift year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    1) Then they'll expect you to find the funds from somewhere to repay - any outstanding debts will prevent you getting payments in future
    2) Yes. If you want to be funded for the entire year then you need to COMPLETE the year. That means attend exams and lectures as required by your university and submit work as requested. You don't have to PASS the year. To get funding for the year you must stay officially on your course until August at the earliest.
    It wont affect your funding at any future university - a part-year uses up your entire gift year.
    Thanks. But if I stay for the full year, will I still have the 'gift year' or will that be used up on the year I've just completed?

If I quit now, that'll be using up my 'gift year' but I can still get funding come September?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks. But if I stay for the full year, will I still have the 'gift year' or will that be used up on the year I've just completed?

If I quit now, that'll be using up my 'gift year' but I can still get funding come September?
    If you stay for the full year or leave now you have used up your "gift" year. If you don't need to repeat a year in your new course and don't change your mind again then you wont miss it

The difference between leaving now or the end of the year is about SLC demanding immediate repayment of any "overpayment"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.