The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Scroll to see replies

really not feeling great atm. fell asleep at about 2am ish last night but had such a broken sleep i didnt properly wake up until 6.30pm this evening... im just so exhausted recently. and the pain my body comes up with is insane. just want to cry
In so much pain today I can hardly get myself to the toilet or anything. I don't think I can get back upstairs to bed tonight. It hurts just to exist, never mind actually do anything. Had a great few days but I always forget how much I pay for it afterwards. Kept blacking out on the trains, but thankfully had passenger assistance booked so I was safe enough and all. Booked into the cinema tomorrow night, so hopefully I can manage to get to that. Not been too bad mentally, but I know I'll come right down in a few days. Just feeling very blank, I guess. PIP assessment letter came through today. Appointment is next Friday, first thing on a morning. Unmanageable. Need to call up on Monday and ask for a home assessment, and ring CPN so she can help me out with that. Didn't get my MH things as DSA from student finance. Gonna have to get more medical evidence and hope that helps convince them. Need it all sorted, really. Just trying to take things slow right now, and trying to relax and treat myself well. Bought myself some new comfy outdoors clothes so that I'll won't be stuck indoors at much at uni because of having no clothes I can tolerate without pain some days. Going to aim for a drink, and I'll see if I can make it upstairs. Took me a few sit downs on the way up last night though, so we'll see. I'll try and be productive next week :laugh:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You can guess my opinion based on the Facebook statuses you see of mine :tongue:

Dw bout WhatsApp :nah: I just wasn't sure what was going on because you weren't reading the messages at all, so I assumed you didn't wanna hear from me anymore...

No! I'll text you...just there's problems with a certain someone, it makes talking to people in general difficult (like outside of my social withdrawal thing..) and especially difficult on WhatsApp.
Getting really worried about uni. I've spent so long getting myself to a point where I'm relatively stable and just feels like l'm going to throw it all away again. I'm rubbish with new places and people and stuff and I'm terrified. I've been out of education and everything for three years now, I've changed so much and I'm ready but what if I can't do it. I know I'm not really well enough physically but I just need to know I've tried. But so scared of making myself worse again and don't know what to do.
Original post by furryface12
Getting really worried about uni. I've spent so long getting myself to a point where I'm relatively stable and just feels like l'm going to throw it all away again. I'm rubbish with new places and people and stuff and I'm terrified. I've been out of education and everything for three years now, I've changed so much and I'm ready but what if I can't do it. I know I'm not really well enough physically but I just need to know I've tried. But so scared of making myself worse again and don't know what to do.

:penguinhug: furry :jumphug: wishing you the best, have you seen what support is available at your uni and that sorta thing? Really hope it all goes well, you deserve it so much :lovehug: you're amazing!
Losing control. Losing motivation. Don't really know how to cope.

:hugs: Firstly, you've worked so hard to get to this point and you should be really proud. Intellectually, you can do this no problem. I know you've been out of formal education for a little while, but you'll get into the academic swing of things. Is there some light academic preparation you could do leading up to it? I'm not sure if you have log in details for your university yet, but where i went, if you had log in details, you could access (any) lecture slides online. If it's the same with yours, could you perhaps have a look through some of the material? Obviously not to learn it, but to familiarise yourself and try and maybe get yourself into that headspace before it starts. Also, with first years, they ease you in with introduction lectures, and teach you how to write essays etc.

Secondly, whilst your struggles are very real and very debilitating, it's good you have a few extra years of managing your conditions, and an extra level of maturity is great. I know you've been in contact with your support services which is brilliant. When I started, it took months and months for me to be under their radar, so that is really great. Try to be as open and as honest as you can early on about things. Let an academic member of staff such as your tutor know really early on too as they are vital for links between you and the department. My DofS was incredible and helped me immensely, but again it took too long for them to find out.

Thirdly, and i know i don't need to tell you this, but be kind to yourself and take things as easy as you can. Pace yourself with work, societies and social stuff. Don't put pressure on yourself. I think a little bit of planning prior to going is essential here. I would list what you would like out of your first term (try not to think too far ahead at this point), and maybe make a list in order of your priorities. Then think about the minimum that would need to happen for you to feel satisfied that you'd accomplished that. There's plenty of time, but if you rush in too quickly it could go wrong. Perhaps your first term could be spent trying to get back into the academic swing of things, making a couple of friends, and being involved in one society.(obviously these are examples and yours may be different). Remember that you will have a steady stream of work which will need completing, but societies often run termly and it's not uncommon at all for people to dip in and out. This might seem a bit patronising so apologies if it is, but it might also be worth writing a list of 'warning signs' for you, in terms of signs that things are starting to go downhill, and things you could do to help manage this. I know it seems as though it may be obvious to you now, whilst you're in the whirlwind it might be more difficult to see.

Is there anything in particular I can do to help? If you have any questions or anything please let me know. :hugs:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
:penguinhug: furry :jumphug: wishing you the best, have you seen what support is available at your uni and that sorta thing? Really hope it all goes well, you deserve it so much :lovehug: you're amazing!

Thanks. Yeah, been talking to them, they've helped so much already with accommodation and stuff. Thanks, means a lot :redface: hope it does for you, too

Original post by ScaryScience
:hugs: Firstly, you've worked so hard to get to this point and you should be really proud. Intellectually, you can do this no problem. I know you've been out of formal education for a little while, but you'll get into the academic swing of things. Is there some light academic preparation you could do leading up to it? I'm not sure if you have log in details for your university yet, but where i went, if you had log in details, you could access (any) lecture slides online. If it's the same with yours, could you perhaps have a look through some of the material? Obviously not to learn it, but to familiarise yourself and try and maybe get yourself into that headspace before it starts. Also, with first years, they ease you in with introduction lectures, and teach you how to write essays etc.

Secondly, whilst your struggles are very real and very debilitating, it's good you have a few extra years of managing your conditions, and an extra level of maturity is great. I know you've been in contact with your support services which is brilliant. When I started, it took months and months for me to be under their radar, so that is really great. Try to be as open and as honest as you can early on about things. Let an academic member of staff such as your tutor know really early on too as they are vital for links between you and the department. My DofS was incredible and helped me immensely, but again it took too long for them to find out.

Thirdly, and i know i don't need to tell you this, but be kind to yourself and take things as easy as you can. Pace yourself with work, societies and social stuff. Don't put pressure on yourself. I think a little bit of planning prior to going is essential here. I would list what you would like out of your first term (try not to think too far ahead at this point), and maybe make a list in order of your priorities. Then think about the minimum that would need to happen for you to feel satisfied that you'd accomplished that. There's plenty of time, but if you rush in too quickly it could go wrong. Perhaps your first term could be spent trying to get back into the academic swing of things, making a couple of friends, and being involved in one society.(obviously these are examples and yours may be different). Remember that you will have a steady stream of work which will need completing, but societies often run termly and it's not uncommon at all for people to dip in and out. This might seem a bit patronising so apologies if it is, but it might also be worth writing a list of 'warning signs' for you, in terms of signs that things are starting to go downhill, and things you could do to help manage this. I know it seems as though it may be obvious to you now, whilst you're in the whirlwind it might be more difficult to see.

Is there anything in particular I can do to help? If you have any questions or anything please let me know. :hugs:

Thank you, so much. I don't have login details yet but hopefully will soon, I've been trying to do bits of reading and stuff the last few months so will try step that up a bit after the next few days. I'm trying to let people know asap where they need to, learnt that one from school I think although I hate doing it.

Planning is definitely going to be key. I'm so much better at it than I was and know myself so much more, I just need to remember stuff. I'm trying to do as much as I possibly can before I go and also write everything down (down to like heating up something frozen) as when I'm ill I forget. The what I want to get out of it thing is really good idea- my instinct is always to just dive in but I can't. I can always join more stuff later if I want. The warning signs too I really need to do, maybe try let a couple of people know them too as one of the first things for me is I just go onto autopilot then everything spirals.

Thank you so so much. That helps a lot, even the bits I already had just to have it written somewhere and by someone else. Hope you're doing okay and feeling a bit better, was lovely to see you the other day

Original post by Anonymous
Losing control. Losing motivation. Don't really know how to cope.

:hugs: is there anyone you can talk to about it?
(edited 6 years ago)

Thank you, so much. I don't have login details yet but hopefully will soon, I've been trying to do bits of reading and stuff the last few months so will try step that up a bit after the next few days. I'm trying to let people know asap where they need to, learnt that one from school I think although I hate doing it.

Planning is definitely going to be key. I'm so much better at it than I was and know myself so much more, I just need to remember stuff. I'm trying to do as much as I possibly can before I go and also write everything down (down to like heating up something frozen) as when I'm ill I forget. The what I want to get out of it thing is really good idea- my instinct is always to just dive in but I can't. I can always join more stuff later if I want. The warning signs too I really need to do, maybe try let a couple of people know them too as one of the first things for me is I just go onto autopilot then everything spirals.

Thank you so so much. That helps a lot, even the bits I already had just to have it written somewhere and by someone else. Hope you're doing okay and feeling a bit better, was lovely to see you the other day

You're more than welcome :hugs: It sounds like you're being really sensible and thinking ahead about all of this which is fantastic, you seem to have most things covered. It's natural to have a level of anxiety about going forward, because of your health and because it's been quite a long time coming now. I'd just like to reassure you that a) you are more than capable intellectually to do this, so it's just about managing your health and taking care of yourself alongside it. if the university was concerned about you having 3 years out then they wouldn't have offered you a place, so remember they have faith in you too! b) once you're there, if things do go a bit wrong, there are so so many people that have your back and want you to succeed. There will be so many support staff on your side who will do everything they can to keep you in the course. Even if health is an issue, they'll find a way to get you through if that's what you still want. I spent 3 years unable to move or function and somehow still graduated on time, because everyone was right behind me. Try and enjoy it as much as you can, and take each day as it comes, which is cheesy to say, but so so important. Get in touch any time if you need a chat or anything at all. Great seeing you, too. :hugs:
Eurgh, just not really feeling great mentally today tbh :/ even though I've come across as in a good mood all day to everyone. Hope everyone else is ok though? :hugs:
I had an assessment with an early intervention for psychosis team last week & now they went to have another meeting with me next week so that they can ask some "more questions"... they already asked pretty much everything they could ask last week!
Some of the stuff I said might have sounded quite concerning but idk.

I'm scared... what might be happening? What more could they ask?
I done something today that I haven't done for years - I went food shopping alone.

I used to panic so much while food shopping and couldn't walk around the shop or go to the till without someone with me but today I done it and I bought quite a lot so was in the shop for a while :redface:

It's hardly climbing Mount Everest but it's something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had an assessment with an early intervention for psychosis team last week & now they went to have another meeting with me next week so that they can ask some "more questions"... they already asked pretty much everything they could ask last week!

Don't be scared. It's good that they have more questions, shows they want to know what's going on for you. Maybe family history or some things they missed first time?

If you said anything concerning they would have done more than ask you to come in for more questions. It's very hard to scare EIS by the way.
Original post by ScaryScience
You're more than welcome :hugs: It sounds like you're being really sensible and thinking ahead about all of this which is fantastic, you seem to have most things covered. It's natural to have a level of anxiety about going forward, because of your health and because it's been quite a long time coming now. I'd just like to reassure you that a) you are more than capable intellectually to do this, so it's just about managing your health and taking care of yourself alongside it. if the university was concerned about you having 3 years out then they wouldn't have offered you a place, so remember they have faith in you too! b) once you're there, if things do go a bit wrong, there are so so many people that have your back and want you to succeed. There will be so many support staff on your side who will do everything they can to keep you in the course. Even if health is an issue, they'll find a way to get you through if that's what you still want. I spent 3 years unable to move or function and somehow still graduated on time, because everyone was right behind me. Try and enjoy it as much as you can, and take each day as it comes, which is cheesy to say, but so so important. Get in touch any time if you need a chat or anything at all. Great seeing you, too. :hugs:

Thanks, yeah. Think I've thought of a lot of the practical stuff just the emotional :/ that's a good point though. Sorry I can't think of anything else to say, brain's mush and struggling to see but thank you :redface: you too, any time

Eurgh, just not really feeling great mentally today tbh :/ even though I've come across as in a good mood all day to everyone. Hope everyone else is ok though? :hugs:

:grouphugs:

Original post by Rum Ham
I done something today that I haven't done for years - I went food shopping alone.

I used to panic so much while food shopping and couldn't walk around the shop or go to the till without someone with me but today I done it and I bought quite a lot so was in the shop for a while :redface:

It's hardly climbing Mount Everest but it's something :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is amazing :smile:
:hugs: :hugs:

:hugs: :hugs:
feel overweight and ugly
hoping to lose weight at uni because i will have to stagger my supplies which will make me anxious about running out so i wont eat them if possible
Arrgh currently lying in bed in tears :frown: and I need to sleep *sigh* had enough..
feel overweight and ugly
hoping to lose weight at uni because i will have to stagger my supplies which will make me anxious about running out so i wont eat them if possible

feel like this too :sigh:
:jumphug: we can do it together, my Dad said he lost a load of weight at uni
I hope I do too :redface:
Arrgh currently lying in bed in tears :frown: and I need to sleep *sigh* had enough..

:jumphug: here for you
:grouphugs: I'm v close to tears myself, just a hard milestone coming up
seems the nights get harder at the moment, I'm just hoping it won't be like this at uni
need to sort out GP stuff as well
I just want to make sure that if I need them, getting in touch is easy :redface:
Hi everyone
Original post by Midnightmemories
Hi everyone

:hello: how are you doing?

Latest