Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ideal first cars show off or not watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I passed my test about a week ago and I'm buying a car in a couple of days can anyone tell me if the Mercedes Benz a200d or Audi A3 are ideal as they have both been mentioned in the which magazine as good cars for first time drivers ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PRICEALYASEEN)
    Okay so I passed my test about a week ago and I'm buying a car in a couple of days can anyone tell me if the Mercedes Benz a200d or Audi A3 are ideal as they have both been mentioned in the which magazine as good cars for first time drivers ?
    In terms of which car looks the best, I'd go for the Mercedes.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Have you checked the insurance premiums?

ReputationRep:
    Yes the Mercedes is £4357 and the Audi is £4768 per year
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah nice, a bargain...

ReputationRep:
    Only?

ReputationRep:
    the merc son

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Ah nice, a bargain...
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice, a bargain...
    Back at it again with the pars, god I love you.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    x
    Hiya,

Just moved this over to a more appropriate section.

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so £363+/mo insurance per month plus at least £250-£400/mo for the car however you finance it. +£24+/mo service plan and fuel costs. You'd be looking at at-least £750/mo? Not sure about your background but even for mid career professionals this is excessive. To get a scope for how much unnecessary money you're paying - It'd cost me less than this to contract hire and insure a C63.

Build up some experience and come back in 3-5 years, it would be affordable then.

Depends where you live if these cars are show-offy. Here in London, a A200 or A3 is below average, it's like driving a Golf - you won't get a single head-turn. Average is probably a C220/E220 or BMW 320.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You've already got the Merc...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=49

ReputationRep:
    You forgot to factor in student incoherency

ReputationRep:
    yes I already have a Mercedes which is my brother car but I want to buy my own

ReputationRep:
    Is spending £700/mo on a car, affordable for you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Is spending £700/mo on a car, affordable for you?
    Well I'm buying it for £18.000 and it is quite economical so I would say yes

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm buying it for £18.000 and it is quite economical so I would say yes
    You could go for a smaller engine to get that insurance cost down. The exterior would look the same if you just want it to show off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    You could go for a smaller engine to get that insurance cost down. The exterior would look the same if you just want it to show off.
    Yeah I might just do that , thanks anyway mate

ReputationRep:
    Prince Al Yaseen from trollstation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    Yeah so £363+/mo insurance per month plus at least £250-£400/mo for the car however you finance it. +£24+/mo service plan and fuel costs. You'd be looking at at-least £750/mo? Not sure about your background but even for mid career professionals this is excessive. To get a scope for how much unnecessary money you're paying - It'd cost me less than this to contract hire and insure a C63.

Build up some experience and come back in 3-5 years, it would be affordable then.

Depends where you live if these cars are show-offy. Here in London, a A200 or A3 is below average, it's like driving a Golf - you won't get a single head-turn. Average is probably a C220/E220 or BMW 320.
    my area it's worse than that these day's one of my friends she didn't like her 2 year old porshe as it was 'too common' now she has a fully kitted '65 plate s-class mercedes for her 19th birthday and is getting a ferrari 458 for her 21st

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.