Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll be starting a MusM Music degree in September and I'll be commuting from Sheffield. I believe I'll only be there 2-3 days a week, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this.

I'm debating whether to do it by train, or whether to drive. I don't live in the centre of Sheffield, so I'd have to get a train from my village to Sheffield, and then another to Manchester. How easy is it to get to the uni from the train station? (I think it's either Piccadilly or Oxford Road). The train journey is about 1hr 35mins, but it's a 10 minute walk to the station from my house, and then however long to uni on the other end. The fare is about £12.50 return.

By car, it's about 1hr 30mins, not taking into account possible heavy traffic over the Woodhead Pass, or bad weather and closure during the winter. I drove there for the open day and it wasn't too bad and I managed to get parked ok; is parking normally alright? I can't remember exactly how much I paid, but I don't think it was too bad. Is there some kind of permit I could apply for? I suppose everything depends on what time my lectures are. I'd try to plan to be travelling outside rush hour to make it easier. I've worked out that petrol will cost about £15 a day.

Has anyone else had experience of this commute? What method would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitHolly)
    I'll be starting a MusM Music degree in September and I'll be commuting from Sheffield. I believe I'll only be there 2-3 days a week, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was wondering if anyone else has done this.

I'm debating whether to do it by train, or whether to drive. I don't live in the centre of Sheffield, so I'd have to get a train from my village to Sheffield, and then another to Manchester. How easy is it to get to the uni from the train station? (I think it's either Piccadilly or Oxford Road). The train journey is about 1hr 35mins, but it's a 10 minute walk to the station from my house, and then however long to uni on the other end. The fare is about £12.50 return.

By car, it's about 1hr 30mins, not taking into account possible heavy traffic over the Woodhead Pass, or bad weather and closure during the winter. I drove there for the open day and it wasn't too bad and I managed to get parked ok; is parking normally alright? I can't remember exactly how much I paid, but I don't think it was too bad. Is there some kind of permit I could apply for? I suppose everything depends on what time my lectures are. I'd try to plan to be travelling outside rush hour to make it easier. I've worked out that petrol will cost about £15 a day.

Has anyone else had experience of this commute? What method would you recommend?
    I'm not commuting from Sheffield but I'm also commuting to Manchester. I found navigating the city centre an absolute nightmare and the parking situation is horrendous because there is barely any campus parking and all of the public parking spaces charge a fortune. It cost me more than the price of petrol to get there to actually park there.

Like you I've considered the train but the problem for me is that I'd have to walk to the nearest but stop which isn't near and then get an hours bus journey before I can get a train. Also - I need my car for work and family so paying £15 a day on train fair would drain my money that I need to maintain the car. So it's more practical to drive. The best solution I've found is park and ride tram stations near Manchester - you can park for free all day and the tram fare is only around £3 return and they take you right into the city centre. Manchester is not car friendly at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also with regard to permits, I looked online and the only ones seem to be council approved permits for residents of Manchester and to even get a permit for the city centre you have to live in/near it - prices made my eyes water. The council ones are major expensive and the only other type of permit I found was an NCP yearly pass which was around £900 but again I'm pretty sure you have to be a resident of Manchester to be granted one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.