Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a univeristy student who studies computer science. I've pretty much failed the first year because I failed 2 modules. My university states that if you fail more than one module, your out of the uni, and can't apply for any different course. I haven't actually failed yet, because the year hasn't finished, but realistically, I have. My questions are:

Should I just drop out now? I want to know if I can apply for a different course at the same uni if i drop out now, instead of failing? Does that work? Can you apply for Sept. if you drop out on the verge of failing?

If I cant stay ay this uni, I'm going to apply to a different one. What should I do about my personal statement? Should I apply through UCAS? Will they know I already went to uni, and will they ask me about it? Can they see my previous applications and personal statements?

Also, can I apply now? I'm still currently at uni, so can I apply for different unis, or do I have to wait for the year to end?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Perhaps talk to the student rep or someone in the SU or your tutor if you trust them. To give reliable advice someone really needs to look at the rules. Technically you havent failed a odle yet, but he rules might have soemthing to deal with how they treat withdrawals.

1.Should I just drop out now? I want to know if I can apply for a different course at the same uni if i drop out now, instead of failing?
    Can you apply for Sept. if you drop out on the verge of failing?

Yes if the rules say by dropping out now it wont count as a fail. It needs someone to look at the rules and check what happens. Toyr description isnt enough.

2. If I cant stay ay this uni, I'm going to apply to a different one. What should I do about my personal statement? Should I apply through UCAS?

Yes to UCAS. Unsure whether I would bother mentioning it in my ps because my focus would be on why I wanted to study elsewhere. I would ofc have an answer ready if it came to an interview.

3. Will they know I already went to uni, and will they ask me about it? Can they see my previous applications and personal statements?

You have to give a full disclosure, so yes you have to reveal it. they may wnat to know why you wnated to change courses, but its easy to formulate an acceptable response.

4.Also, can I apply now? I'm still currently at uni, so can I apply for different unis, or do I have to wait for the year to end?

Check with UCAS, but if you have no intention of staying, then i'd say you can start the application going. I dont know whether theres a requirement you must have left your current course, but that will just be weeks. UCAS can tell you.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.