Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Have done a little search around but finding something concrete seems a little tricky therefore I'm going to ask a similar question many have asked.

Currently, I passed my Law degree in 2011 but towards the end of the degree I realised it wasn't what I wanted to do.

Over the years I've grown to love marketing, community management and social media which I have pursued in gaming and competitive gaming/esports.

Is it possible to work on a second degree on something like Marketing and Social Media? But more importantly what funding would I be able to receive? Would I be able to receive the same funding as before in my previous degree or would it simply be nothing?

ReputationRep:
    In short - no you won't get anything.

I'm also a graduate and I've changed careers and done a second degree but it was NHS funded - they (currently) are the only major exception to the rule. There's also teaching and town planning/social work. But aside from those - no you can't get funded for a second degree. There was talk a couple of years ago of a 10K loan for postgraduate degrees - I don't know if that came into place or is coming into place soon or if it got scrapped. But obviously it would be for masters degrees not undergrads and to be honest 10k would barely cover tuition for a lot of masters, never mind living costs.

In short: no. You get one opportunity to choose the right undergraduate degree unless you do an NHS one as the second and even that might change in future given what has just happened with regards to NHS funding.

It's a mad system really - pushing kids to choose a career at 17 years old and then giving them virtually no opportunities to change their mind as soon as they graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieBlogger)
    In short - no you won't get anything.

I'm also a graduate and I've changed careers and done a second degree but it was NHS funded - they (currently) are the only major exception to the rule. There's also teaching and town planning/social work. But aside from those - no you can't get funded for a second degree. There was talk a couple of years ago of a 10K loan for postgraduate degrees - I don't know if that came into place or is coming into place soon or if it got scrapped. But obviously it would be for masters degrees not undergrads and to be honest 10k would barely cover tuition for a lot of masters, never mind living costs.

In short: no. You get one opportunity to choose the right undergraduate degree unless you do an NHS one as the second and even that might change in future given what has just happened with regards to NHS funding.

It's a mad system really - pushing kids to choose a career at 17 years old and then giving them virtually no opportunities to change their mind as soon as they graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Heh "insert I was sold the wrong degree as a child argument here". Thanks for the info!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.