Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are graduate employers reliable if you don't want to work in your degree field? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been advised that if you don't know what you want to do as a career but want to go to uni, you should try to go to a good uni, get a good classification and that a respected subject may help too. This supposedly helps you get jobs from employers who will accept any degree, of which there are a good amount according to this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ht-degree.html

My question is can you rely on being employed by one of these general graduate employers, if you decide that your degree field isn't what you want as a career?

I'm in year 13 ATM, I've had an offer to study biology (though I may change to biomed/microbiology). I know biology isn't a 'top tier' degree like medicine or engineering, but I think it's at least a bit respected. It's for a top 10 university, with a year of professional placement, and I'm pretty sure I would be able to get at least a 2:1, hopefully a first given that I don't find A-levels too bad and I'm passionate about the subject.

The reason I say this isn't to brag, if it comes off that way, but because I'm wondering how I would fare against the rest of graduates for jobs such as graduate schemes in retail businesses and civil service etc, as I'm not 100% sure if I'd like to work in my degree field. I don't want to make the mistake of only being able to find work in science or teaching.

Any advice appreciated

ReputationRep:
    My employer (BT) accepts all degrees for its graduate entry programme, however certain degrees are prerequisite for some posts ie you would be unlikely to pick up a graduate post in cyber security with a degree in Biology. If you get through a graduate scheme for a large organisation you would likely be filtered towards certain areas.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Any degree based on the criteria you suggested. Obviously some degrees might be more relevant. For graduate schemes they will also have assessment tests for soft skills and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamb97)
    I have been advised that if you don't know what you want to do as a career but want to go to uni, you should try to go to a good uni, get a good classification and that a respected subject may help too. This supposedly helps you get jobs from employers who will accept any degree, of which there are a good amount according to this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...ht-degree.html

My question is can you rely on being employed by one of these general graduate employers, if you decide that your degree field isn't what you want as a career?

I'm in year 13 ATM, I've had an offer to study biology (though I may change to biomed/microbiology). I know biology isn't a 'top tier' degree like medicine or engineering, but I think it's at least a bit respected. It's for a top 10 university, with a year of professional placement, and I'm pretty sure I would be able to get at least a 2:1, hopefully a first given that I don't find A-levels too bad and I'm passionate about the subject.

The reason I say this isn't to brag, if it comes off that way, but because I'm wondering how I would fare against the rest of graduates for jobs such as graduate schemes in retail businesses and civil service etc, as I'm not 100% sure if I'd like to work in my degree field. I don't want to make the mistake of only being able to find work in science or teaching.

Any advice appreciated
    Many opportunities would be open to you to apply to, yes, however employers don't go 'oh shes' got a degree in Biology, I'll take her over that guy with a degree in Media.' They look at more than just the degree- work experience & soft skills and many grad schemes have online tests.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.