Turn on thread page Beta

27th Apr: Is it ok to be a little bit selfish? watch

Announcements
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    This week on The Surgery Gemma & Dr Radha are talking about selfishness.

Is it ok to be a little bit selfish and look after number one every now and again? Do you have someone in your life who’s being selfish at the moment and you don’t know how to deal with it? Or are you worried you’ve become selfish? And is there really such thing as a selfless good deed?

Remember you can post on this thread anonymously.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Yup definitely! No such thing as selfless I don't think, because if you're doing something for someone, you're doing it to make them feel better perhaps, which makes you feel better perhaps... Otherwise, why would you do it? If you didn't feel good about doing it, you wouldn't care, wouldn't do it...

ReputationRep:
    At a very foundational level, there is no such thing as doing something which isn't unselfish. Creating political or ideological systems to try and avoid selfishness creates problems because they fundamentally go against human nature, and in fact all nature. When you see a flock of birds flying in formation, they don't do that because they're thinking of each other, they do that because they're being selfish; they feel safer among the flock. Unity comes through individual selfishness. Even when we do something for another, we do it because we like them and their happiness makes us happy, or we want their approval, or because it makes us feel like better people (which, actually, we may very well be for doing so, regardless of the fact that it is still a fundamentally selfish act). There is nothing wrong with selfishness. There is only a problem with selfishness coupled with negligence, spite, lack of compassion, or overzealousness.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is selfish in one way or another, which is fine. It's only an issue when someone is "too selfish" and everyone has their own idea of "too selfish".

There's always that one person that takes the biggest pizza for their personal satisfaction. This isn't really harmful. I'm sure there's worse examples. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Infact complete selfishness in this world is comparably a Utopian society compared to ours. People look out for themselves completely and sustainably. In this world where people differ results are prolonged and incomplete consensus gets in the way.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    There is no such thing as a selfless act. So I guess the answer to that is yes.

However it's often better to be as nice to others as possible.

ReputationRep:
    Not only is it ok it is absolutely necessary to actually achieve anything in life. If someone steps on your toes you don't say 'ok' you say 'oi, my toes', of course you don't go stepping around on anyone's toes.

ReputationRep:
    Depends if it is in the name of vital self preservation or being an a.hole.

ReputationRep:
    Every single person on the planet is selfish. It is the very essence of human nature, and it is to be celebrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Yup definitely! No such thing as selfless I don't think, because if you're doing something for someone, you're doing it to make them feel better perhaps, which makes you feel better perhaps... Otherwise, why would you do it? If you didn't feel good about doing it, you wouldn't care, wouldn't do it...
    This.

Selfishness has a negative connotation. Self-interested is the proper term. And yes, self-interest drives all life forms.

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely OK to be selfish once in a while. Some days, you just can't be bothered, and people should be able to understand that everyone has those days once in a while. Sometimes you just can't help it.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is selfish of something but only for a short period of time not a prolonged time- It's actually annoying

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes you just gotta look after number 1!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Selfless people get trampled on.

ReputationRep:
    yes selfishness is the backbone of good business acumen you have to be a little selfish in order to success it part of the ruthlessness

ReputationRep:
    I'm mostly driven by ulterior motives.

ReputationRep:
    Unselfishness combined with stupidity is the worst mix of all. It causes everyone to suffer and be miserable.

Selfishness combined with stupidity isn't as bad due to someone often failing at being selfish.

Selfishness combined with intelligence is rather bad, but atleast the people who are being bad know they're being bad.

Unselfishness combined with intelligence is the best mix and it's a shame more people aren't like this.

Generally, most people, I think, try to be unselfish but often how they go about this is wrong and causes complete disasters.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Best thing I ever did was learn to say no without feeling guilty.

ReputationRep:
    yes in football you don't always have to pass the ball. if you think you can take them on then go for it

ReputationRep:
    I think its okay to be selfish sometimes to a certain degree. Sometimes you have to put yourself first, to make you happy and to succseed. You can't always please everyone.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.