Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So the extended writing part is something I need help on, I don't really understand how the marking works.

If it's an 8 marker, 10 marker or 12 marker, how many points, evaluation points, and references to case studies would I need for each?

But then again my teacher also says that it's not really a case of how many points you have in it, but it's about how convincing the essay is.

I'm a bit confused about this, I just need a clear answer about what it is I need to be putting in my essays.

ReputationRep:
    This is under AQA btw.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look through some mark schemes as they will break down AO1/2/3 in the answers.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psych...ment-resources

EG.
    Describe and evaluate two studies of social influence.

Describe is asking for AO1
    Evaluate is AO3 (It would be good to familiarise yourself with key words so you can quickly see what they're asking you to do and you can figure out marks)

It's asking for 2 studies (Asch/Milgram/Zimbardo)

Break the marks down evenly.
    AO1 = 6 marks. 3 marks per study.
    AO3 = 6 marks. 3 marks per study.
    (6 marks per study, 3 for AO1 3 for AO3)

Essay would be like:
    3 points about study 1 (AO1 - method, procedure, results)
    3 evaluation points ( AO3 methodlody, counter-arguments, ethics etc - Use GRENADE/GRAVE to help you through the points.)

You can use PEE to help you with the evaluation points:
    P (make your point, eg Milgram's study had ethical disadvantages)
    E (provide the evidence to support this point eg, deception was used)
    E (explain your point. eg, BPS ethical guidelines suggest that participants shouldn't be deceived as it creates distress, but the cost-benefit of deceiving participants allowed for higher validity and reliability and all participants were debriefed following the study.)

I've just bashed this out so the examples may not be 100% and you can definitely expand on them.

Hopefully this helps! Check out the Psych. studyblr in my signature for more advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    Have a look through some mark schemes as they will break down AO1/2/3 in the answers.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/psych...ment-resources

EG.
    Describe and evaluate two studies of social influence.

Describe is asking for AO1
    Evaluate is AO3 (It would be good to familiarise yourself with key words so you can quickly see what they're asking you to do and you can figure out marks)

It's asking for 2 studies (Asch/Milgram/Zimbardo)

Break the marks down evenly.
    AO1 = 6 marks. 3 marks per study.
    AO3 = 6 marks. 3 marks per study.
    (6 marks per study, 3 for AO1 3 for AO3)

Essay would be like:
    3 points about study 1 (AO1 - method, procedure, results)
    3 evaluation points ( AO3 methodlody, counter-arguments, ethics etc - Use GRENADE/GRAVE to help you through the points.)

You can use PEE to help you with the evaluation points:
    P (make your point, eg Milgram's study had ethical disadvantages)
    E (provide the evidence to support this point eg, deception was used)
    E (explain your point. eg, BPS ethical guidelines suggest that participants shouldn't be deceived as it creates distress, but the cost-benefit of deceiving participants allowed for higher validity and reliability and all participants were debriefed following the study.)

I've just bashed this out so the examples may not be 100% and you can definitely expand on them.

Hopefully this helps! Check out the Psych. studyblr in my signature for more advice
    Thanks for this! One more question, what is GRENADE/GRAVE?

Also, how many pages is a 10 marker or a 12 marker usually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelienine)
    Thanks for this! One more question, what is GRENADE/GRAVE?

Also, how many pages is a 10 marker or a 12 marker usually?
    http://iteachpsych.tumblr.com/post/1...-help-you-with

Check that video for grenade.

Page wise, write your point and move on. The real exam will have guidelines on how much you should write.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    http://iteachpsych.tumblr.com/post/1...-help-you-with

Check that video for grenade.

Page wise, write your point and move on. The real exam will have guidelines on how much you should write.
    Alright, thank you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.