Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How exactly are candidates assessed at assessment centres? watch

ReputationRep:
    is there usually an average weighted score based on how you performed in the written exercise, group work, interview etc? so if i performed badly in the written, could i make it up with a good interview? is there a minimum 'score' with each exercise?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I think it will vary from firm to firm. The interview I think is most important, but the succcessful ones are likely to do well in everything imo.

ReputationRep:
    You can't generalise. Law firms have very different processes, scoring systems etc.

However, any written or analytical tests/assessments are likely to have a higher weighting than less. It's often a non-negotiable.

From my experience you have to do well in all assessments. If you screwed up one, they are highly likely to turn you down. At best they might ask you to come back in and resit a similar assessment.

Firms are ridiculously risk adverse organisations and they are going to invest an awful lot in your training and development. Therefore they are unlikely to take a risk and look past a poor performance in an assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Tbh I dont think you have any excuse to do poorly in written tests. the bits where more variables are associated are group exercises and interviews, but even they should be practised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Tbh I dont think you have any excuse to do poorly in written tests. the bits where more variables are associated are group exercises and interviews, but even they should be practised.
    I am just about to start applying for straight TCs.
    I am sorry if this question may sound awfully ignorant, but how am I supposed to prepare for assessment centres?
    Where can I get information about the type of exercises I have to expect and also possibly practice and prepare?
    Any bit of information will be extremely helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony I)
    I am sorry if this question may sound awfully ignorant, but how am I supposed to prepare for assessment centres?
    Where can I get information about the type of exercises I have to expect and also possibly practice and prepare?
    Look at the individual firm's website for the clearest information. Forums like this or Wikijobs might have some insight into what the assessments are like.

Also a Google search often brings up information on what firms look for. If you are still struggling ask the firm to confirm what assessments they have and if they have any advice (shows initiative!).

I wouldn't really recommend practicing assessments - they are often designed so you can't. Most are based on you reviewing a set of information on the day and producing some kind of output. That output is very specific to the individual exercise.

But you can look at general advice on what firms value/look for and infer how to produce those in your assessment centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    1. All firms are different and run their own assessment centres.
    2. You can do research which is a skill you should be good at. A simple google reveals a lot of information on assessment centres, so am not going to repeat here.
    3. Can you prepare? Imo yes you you can, but you prepare generally so that when you come to an assessment centre everything is new to you plus you can take it in your stride. Practice imo helps you. There are common themes and tasks and they are tackled in a similar way, just with a law firm twist. A bit of common sense and you can appreciate they are there to get the info the law firm wants, which may be different from a general graduate recruiter.
    4. They will give you an idea of whats on the assessment day anyway.
    5. Do your research. the firms website, google and your careers service. They often have useful information about what to expect plus they will have books on assessment days.

Its still a blind test, but you can learn more about the component parts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)

Thank you for your prompt and useful responses!
    I am just about to commence applying for TCs, I haven't passed the online stage yet (got 10 rejections last year), but I feel much
    better prepared now, and hopefully this information will be of use if I get to an assessment center! Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you as well for your useful tips and prompt response!
    It didn't let me quote two people at the same time!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thank you as well for your useful tips and prompt response!
    It didn't let me quote two people at the same time!
    I get what JSP is saying. You cant prepare for an individual firm because the test is unseen, but you cna do so in general for the component stages, so for example you are familair with how to give a presentation.. No need to overdo it. GL anyway.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.