Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The left's double standards when it comes to antisemitism Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am mainly referring to the Malia Bouattia affair. I don't think Malia is an antisemite and I don't think this should be fatal to her being NUS president (I think she should be given a chance first), but the double standards at play here annoy me.

Had this been someone, for example, conflating Muslim or black students with extremists or Islamists and using similar language, the left would have come down on them like a ton of bricks and the NUS wouldn't have touched them, let alone allowed them to become president. When it involves Jews, the usual commentators are silent and the Guardian publishes a piece defending them (and disables comments).

I don't think there should be an extreme, knee-jerk reaction to this sort of thing anyway... as I said I think Malia should still be given a chance. However, it feels like double standards in the way the left don't go crazy when these sort of comments involve Jews.

ReputationRep:
    Hon är svart och muslim, så hon skulle få rollen
    Jag ser inte problemet?

Translating: She is black and Muslim, so she would get the role. I do not see the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Remember when that BBC News reporter was interviewing daughters of holocaust survivors and remarked that 'Palestinians suffer hugely at Jewish hands as well'? He faced calls to resign, but many on the left defended him and said things like "but he's right!".

Imagine if he had been interviewing a Muslim who was complaining about Islamophobia, and he had said "many suffer hugely at Muslim hands as well". Do you think anyone on the left would have defended him then?

A certain section of the left has been antisemitic for a while now, and unwaveringly defensive of Islam. Who knows why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    Remember when that BBC News reporter was interviewing daughters of holocaust survivors and remarked that 'Palestinians suffer hugely at Jewish hands as well'? He faced calls to resign, but many on the left defended him and said things like "but he's right!".

Imagine if he had been interviewing a Muslim who was complaining about Islamophobia, and he had said "many suffer hugely at Muslim hands as well". Do you think anyone on the left would have defended him then?

A certain section of the left has been antisemitic for a while now, and unwaveringly defensive of Islam. Who knows why.
    Do you deny the ill treatment of Muslims at the hands of Israel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwedenYes)
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    Israel killed all the dinosaurs, its a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student.feed)
    Well said.
    Thank you

(Original post by Maker)
    I would not go that far - did not dinosaurs die before Israel invented? - but there are naturally some interestings event Israel has committed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)

ReputationRep:
    it's sad that the 'superior western country' are giving special privilege and protection to outsider way more than their own natives

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

I would not go that far - did not dinosaurs die before Israel invented? - but there are naturally some interestings event Israel has committed.
    Israel also writes all the history you have ever read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Israel also writes all the history you have ever read.
    And the racist media

ReputationRep:
    And the racist media
    Israel controls your definition of racist. You are just a puppet that don't even know every thought you have is being controlled. Of course you think what you think is free will but just shows they are operating on a different plane you can't even comprehend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)

Leftists and Muslims have been in an alliance for some time now, I think they see Jews as rich white people so side with the brown Muslims instead.

(Original post by Maker)
    Israel controls your definition of racist. You are just a puppet that don't even know every thought you have is being controlled. Of course you think what you think is free will but just shows they are operating on a different plane you can't even comprehend.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen of her tweets she's a pretty hard line anti-semite. I'm actually shocked at the kind of anti-jew rhetoric and attitudes which have come to be accepted by PC culture recently.

ReputationRep:
    While I get you are a meme account and everything, the point isn't Israels treatment of Muslims, but the timing and context of the question. It implies that Israels bombing of Palestine is related to the holocaust, that it is somehow the survivors responsibility, and that it lessens the tragedy they encountered.

ReputationRep:
    The Jews killed Prince.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Not serious.

Malia should resign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    I am mainly referring to the Malia Bouattia affair. I don't think Malia is an antisemite and I don't think this should be fatal to her being NUS president (I think she should be given a chance first), but the double standards at play here annoy me.

Had this been someone, for example, conflating Muslim or black students with extremists or Islamists and using similar language, the left would have come down on them like a ton of bricks and the NUS wouldn't have touched them, let alone allowed them to become president. When it involves Jews, the usual commentators are silent and the Guardian publishes a piece defending them (and disables comments).

I don't think there should be an extreme, knee-jerk reaction to this sort of thing anyway... as I said I think Malia should still be given a chance. However, it feels like double standards in the way the left don't go crazy when these sort of comments involve Jews.
    I was about to agree with you, but I think we have used an almost identical line of reasoning to come down on opposite sides of the field! Bouattia has criticised Zionism, and for that she has been branded anti-Semitic. It's a completely nonsensical argument. Imagine if instead she had criticised Islamism or ISIS etc. Clearly (one hopes) it would be ridiculous to accuse her of prejudice towards Muslims*, yet that is precisely what is happening here.

I really don't understand the shitstorm. 'NUS President has views that don't match those of some students'. Big ****ing deal. One person can never have views that represent all students. Students disagree on everything.

*Perhaps this is your point, though? If she had criticised Islamism, she would indeed have been branded Islamophobic?

ReputationRep:
    She is black and Muslim
    If she's black then I'm Roman Emperor. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    it was a necessary measure. :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.