The Student Room Group

Amazing RAF airstrike on ISIS target

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sameerio
Wouldn't really spend £90k a pop to blow up one piece of trash up tbh

worth every penny.
I've never understood the recording of these.

Is it from the jets perspective? Some sort of targeting pod? How does it track so well when the jet is moving so quickly.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse

[video="youtube;eDS_eA3FcU4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDS_eA3FcU4[/video]

Bang !!! and the dirt is gone

:h:
Original post by Sameerio
Wouldn't really spend £90k a pop to blow up one piece of trash up tbh

Military resources are infinite.
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Military resources are infinite.

erm, they kinda aren't.

TBH this does seem like such a waste, starving African children could have eaten that truck.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
erm, they kinda aren't.

TBH this does seem like such a waste, starving African children could have eaten that truck.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=mass+of+the+earth

You realize your post makes no sense, right?
Original post by hezzlington
I've never understood the recording of these.

Is it from the jets perspective? Some sort of targeting pod? How does it track so well when the jet is moving so quickly.

I imagine it's a RAPTOR Pod which yes is from the aircraft's perspective.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/raptor.cfm

It'll be the WSO in the rear of the the GR4 who will be tracking the targets. From what I know about software on other platforms I'd guess that the pod can track the target automatically.

Regarding what the Brimstone was originally designed for:

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6M1ZQcsh0[/video]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oo6M1ZQcsh0
(edited 7 years ago)
You realize your post makes no sense, right?

yes but it is logical
yes but it is logical

It's really not, explain this logic to me. Perhaps it went right over my head.
Ah yes, but the factory may well have been in an area populated by civilians. The campaign seeks to kill only combatants, remember, and, so far, seems to be succeeding, according to the allies' reports.
It's really not, explain this logic to me. Perhaps it went right over my head.

The Earth is so huge and the military is so well funded. They will not run out of weaponry, they can only run out of people.
The Earth is so huge and the military is so well funded. They will not run out of weaponry, they can only run out of people.

Huge isn't infinite, but lets take this to the nth degree.

We build a canon big enough to fire the planet at the sun, because those sun people are asshats and we kill dem good. The earth would be destroyed and we lose.

It would be entirely plausible that we could disrupt the earths orbit, if we so desired, in the near future to send it on a trajectory with another planet filled with people we hate.

I'm trying point out that the earth isn't infinite, even at a smaller scale much of the earths resources are not easily transformed into military ordinance, much of it isn't even accessible to us. So the resources are again finite. Military resources are finite, limited.......... you agree?
Huge isn't infinite, but lets take this to the nth degree.

We build a canon big enough to fire the planet at the sun, because those sun people are asshats and we kill dem good. The earth would be destroyed and we lose.

It would be entirely plausible that we could disrupt the earths orbit, if we so desired, in the near future to send it on a trajectory with another planet filled with people we hate.

I'm trying point out that the earth isn't infinite, even at a smaller scale much of the earths resources are not easily transformed into military ordinance, much of it isn't even accessible to us. So the resources are again finite. Military resources are finite, limited.......... you agree?

No. But that was fun to read.
No. But that was fun to read.

Let me try again, if military resources were unlimited and infinite, and (as you state) people are the only limiting factor, then wars would be fought by millions of soldiers piloting transformer robots.

At the very least, every soldier would have his/her own tank.

They don't because tanks are limited, the resources and funding needed to build and maintain and transport so many tanks are not plentiful enough for this to be feasible.

Short of deconstructing every building and appliance we simply wouldn't have enough raw materials available, or enough fuel to run them cause who is going to sell fuel to the country building a bazillion tanks.
the military is so well funded. They will not run out of weaponry.

Well 1, it's not. It has a finite amount of money (that's every decreasing, too), therefore it has a finite number of things it can buy.

And 2, they have done in the past, no reason why they can't do so again.
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
We can afford £100,000 per shot if it saves us having to put ground troops into the theatre. We are paying for the luxury of not having to put our troops directly in harms way (except for special forces).
Mostly we are paying to protect the Islamic State civilian population. It's a government; it operates openly, it has public buildings and patrols its streets with police. There are many more, and more valuable, targets that we could destroy with much less sophisticated weapons but destroying which would kill bystanders, and so we choose not to destroy.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SwedenYes
It is more humane to try reintegrate them into society

They only become jihadis because of lack of a job

They lack jobs because of their culture. They have no rights, burn them all i say.
It's great, but it would be useful to know that these targets are actually what the military say they are. The problem is that in both Afghanistan and Iraq, large numbers of civilians were killed in these kinds of attacks and there isn't any reason to suppose that similar mistakes aren't being made in Syria/Iraq against ISIS. I'm not saying that's the case here, but with our military attacking people on the ground with impunity like this from high above with no media on the ground to see the results, it's actually pretty easy for the authorities to get it wrong and not admit it.

Just a cautionary thought because all the high-fiving that goes on from armchair warriors and fanboys that we see in response to these kinds of air force PR films may actually be in response to murdering completely innocent people. And indeed often is, judging from the known results of previous incidents.
Original post by SwedenYes
It is more humane to try reintegrate them into society

They only become jihadis because of lack of a job

Most of the Jihadists in Europe have have been quite successful and privileged, disproportionately so. The trend would suggest that lack of opportunities or jobs or education or poverty isn't a factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending