Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I came across many adverts advocating Zac and mocking Sadiq Khan and was wondering if this sort of warfare is acceptable? Many points implied are derogatory and not in form with standard politics. Youtube is a major platform and advertising here certainly made people more biased due to this one sided annihilation of Sadiq in the advertising department.

What i want to ask is if this is ethical or should be changed. Also justifications and other such.
    Advertising campaigns should be more balanced?

ReputationRep:
    It's not ethical at all. It's typical Tory tactics though. They have a lot of money and a lot of influence with the media, they thrive by attacking their opponents. They also make the law so it's not going to change.

But how people in this country are stupid enough to fall for these kinds of tactics I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    Adverts and campaigns between labour and Tory are essentially nothing but "Ah yes! But the <other party> did <some bad thing> the last time they were in power." back and forth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    But how people in this country are stupid enough to fall for these kinds of tactics I don't know.
    "anyone who votes for a party I don't like is stupid"

how refined

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Personinsertname)
    I came across many adverts advocating Zac and mocking Sadiq Khan and was wondering if this sort of warfare is acceptable? Many points implied are derogatory and not in form with standard politics. Youtube is a major platform and advertising here certainly made people more biased due to this one sided annihilation of Sadiq in the advertising department.

What i want to ask is if this is ethical or should be changed. Also justifications and other such.
    This is not simply a Tory or Labour tactic; all parties use it in varying fashion to denigrate the other.

It's not ethical at all. It's typical Tory tactics though. They have a lot of money and a lot of influence with the media, they thrive by attacking their opponents. They also make the law so it's not going to change.But how people in this country are stupid enough to fall for these kinds of tactics I don't know.

Case in point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Personinsertname)

It's not ethical at all. It's typical Tory tactics though. They have a lot of money and a lot of influence with the media, they thrive by attacking their opponents. They also make the law so it's not going to change.

(Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Adverts and campaigns between labour and Tory are essentially nothing but "Ah yes! But the <other party> did <some bad thing> the last time they were in power." back and forth.
    You guys clearly have no idea how YouTube adverts work...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceadria)
    This is not simply a Tory or Labour tactic; all parties use it in varying fashion to denigrate the other.

Case in point.
    Replying to the part I put in bold, this isn't Tory influence at all, YouTube bases advertisements on the users search history, clearly the OP has been looking at politics, the Conservatives will have to pay YouTube money, so they post the ad. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Replying to the part I put in bold, this isn't Tory influence at all, YouTube bases advertisements on the users search history, clearly the OP has been looking at politics, the Conservatives will have to pay YouTube money, so they post the ad. Simple.
    I agree with you, but my post was in reference to the idea that it was a one-party tactic, which it clearly isn't. If anything, it was more of a reply to JordanL than the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, but my post was in reference to the idea that it was a one-party tactic, which it clearly isn't. If anything, it was more of a reply to JordanL than the OP.
    Oh, my mistake, but yes, very true. Whoever owns the advertising monopoly effectively won't have any competition from the opposing side.

ReputationRep:
    But is this okay for something on a national scale like a political campaign. They basically have assured a large mass of voters with these ads alone with the gullible. Not to say that i side with an side. Anyways i rarely search political stuff so i dont think this is based on my own google searches. I mostly look at pc stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, my mistake, but yes, very true. Whoever owns the advertising monopoly effectively won't have any competition from the opposing side.
    Absolutely! Thanks for the information about YouTube by the way! My knowledge of digital marketing/advertising is limited (which is ironic as I work in a related field ).

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely! Thanks for the information about YouTube by the way! My knowledge of digital marketing/advertising is limited (which is ironic as I work in a related field ).
    I'm a YouTuber, you don't get 1000 subs without knowing a few things

ReputationRep:
    I'm a YouTuber, you don't get 1000 subs without knowing a few things
    Indeed.

ReputationRep:
    You guys clearly have no idea how YouTube adverts work...
    Are you referring to it using a users search history?

I fail to see how a single persons search history affects the content of internet and non-internet based advertising campaigns....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Are you referring to it using a users search history?

I fail to see how a single persons search history affects the content of internet and non-internet based advertising campaigns....
    Then you shouldn't make a comment on such issues.

Adverts on the internet and especially on YouTube are products of what the people are searching for. And on YouTube it is based on a particular persons search history which dictates what type of advertisements are shown to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Highly doubting that you're actually milo. Probably just a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm pretty sure that was obvious. Anyone else would've worked that out in about 3 second. And what makes me a troll? I'm giving serious answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver Daniels)
    Actually I worked it out in 2 seconds and replied accordingly. Sorry darling.

Giving them as someone else sort of qualifies you as a troll. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I never tried to claim I was Milo. So your argument has no basis.

Also, look up the definition of internet troll and get back to me.

ReputationRep:
    Then you shouldn't make a comment on such issues.

Adverts on the internet and especially on YouTube are products of what the people are searching for. And on YouTube it is based on a particular persons search history which dictates what type of advertisements are shown to them.
    Yet my comment was about the content of the advert and similar advert, not that it played for the OP.

I fail to see how your comment on the occurances of such adverts had anything to do with comment, which was strictly focused on content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.