Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Singers !! - wee bit of advice ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi !

So I'll keep it short but basically , I have an audition next week for a solo and its for the solo bit of joyful joful. In a non boastful way, I am good at singing and thats not the iissue exactly but i can't get the riffs and frills into my head to learn it . Does anyone have these problems? how do you combat this ?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey! I'm not a pro at all, but I've trained for years so I might be able to help. When you say you can't get the riffs into your head, I don't quite know whether you mean in terms of remembering them or getting them into your 'head-voice'.... So I'll answer for both... In terms of remembering, the best thing you can do is learn it in chunks. For example, you don't probably remember your phone number as a load of individual digits, but as a few sets of numbers (eg 07571-847-583 rather than 0-7-5-7-1-8-4-7-5-8-3. Disclaimer: This is NOT my number!). So, do the same thing with the notes of the riffs. For a prime example of this, I'd recommend watching 'Breaking Down The Riffs' on YouTube. In terms of getting them into your 'head-voice', it's really a game of practise. Getting someone that understands the 'mechanics' of the voice (eg a teacher) to help you is a very good idea. It's good that you're working on this as, unfortunately, unless the singer has a very good ear for tuning, riffs that are guessed sound a bit pants! Good luck with your audition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucywhite99)
    Hi !

So I'll keep it short but basically , I have an audition next week for a solo and its for the solo bit of joyful joful. In a non boastful way, I am good at singing and thats not the iissue exactly but i can't get the riffs and frills into my head to learn it . Does anyone have these problems? how do you combat this ?

Thanks x
    Heyy, I used to reallllllllllly struggle with this, and its where some of my biggest mess ups were as a result but this really helped
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsdThxYjQq8
    Good luck, I hope you ace your audition!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just sing it over and over again :lol:

If I'm trying to learn a song I'll just play it over and over again and sing along all the time - when I'm at home, in the car, walking around, at school...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.