Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I'm interested in buying the Mazda MX5 once I pass my driving test/lessons.

I've been able to find them fairly cheaply, even as low as £850. The only problem is I'm not sure how much the Insurance would cost for a new young driver?

Any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Insurance group at its lowest for a 1.6 is group 23. Which is basically too high for a new driver. Just try for a quote and you'll see how much it'll cost as we don't know anything about you. I'm going to guess upwards of £2500/year.

ReputationRep:
    I tried the same thing, first with a Ford Capri (Oh god I WISH I picked one up for £1000 now they are £6000ish), then MR2 , then MX5. All 3 where less than £1000 to buy but where demanding ~£5000 in insurance. Ended up getting a Nissan Micra for a year and a half well premiums fell.

ReputationRep:
    The real issue on MX5's is rust believe it or not.

The sills is the favorite rot spot and they also rot around the throttle pedal. Mechanically they are quite simple. Camblets will need doing as soon as you get it. The kit is cheap and if you can't do it yourself you're looking at change from £300 to get a garage to sort it.
    Don't discount a eunos. The UK spec 1.6 is a bit down on power but the imports (i.e eunos) are in a higher state of tune. The downside is your insurance might be a touch higher with it being an import.

So, have a really good look at the body underneath. Mechanical issues are easy and cheap to put right but bodywork is expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    I tried the same thing, first with a Ford Capri (Oh god I WISH I picked one up for £1000 now they are £6000ish), then MR2 , then MX5. All 3 where less than £1000 to buy but where demanding ~£5000 in insurance. Ended up getting a Nissan Micra for a year and a half well premiums fell.
    I had a 2.8i capri for a bit last year. Wasn't very impressed. Like every ford they just feel cheap and nasty. Probably the most unreliable car I've ever owned.
    You continually get stopped by morons in baseball caps asking stupid questions about it and asking if it's for sale...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I had a 2.8i capri for a bit last year. Wasn't very impressed. Like every ford they just feel cheap and nasty. Probably the most unreliable car I've ever owned.
    You continually get stopped by morons in baseball caps asking stupid questions about it and asking if it's for sale...
    Aye fast fords are the 'In-thing' at the moment. The price of ropey old 70s-90s examples has gone rediculously high. Good pal of mine recently spent an insane sum on an old Sierra (XR4 I believe) to run as his track car, the price being inflated by a good few grand simply because it has a blue oval on it. Its rusted to **** too, dont know what goes through the minds of fast ford fans (he also has an 08 Focus ST which to be honest is lovely, fits right in on his Edinburgh housing estate ).

Speaking of unreliable massively overvalued cars. Subaru. Never again, desperately trying to shift mine, working on it is genuinely making me depressed, id rather open the bonnet of a new merc than those awfully designed sideways pish motors. Sounds like chewbacca farting when you put the boot down too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Aye fast fords are the 'In-thing' at the moment. The price of ropey old 70s-90s examples has gone rediculously high. Good pal of mine recently spent an insane sum on an old Sierra (XR4 I believe) to run as his track car, the price being inflated by a good few grand simply because it has a blue oval on it. Its rusted to **** too, dont know what goes through the minds of fast ford fans (he also has an 08 Focus ST which to be honest is lovely, fits right in on his Edinburgh housing estate ).

Speaking of unreliable massively overvalued cars. Subaru. Never again, desperately trying to shift mine, working on it is genuinely making me depressed, id rather open the bonnet of a new merc than those awfully designed sideways pish motors. Sounds like chewbacca farting when you put the boot down too.

Ours was actually very solid. Never been welded. What let it down was the wiring loom. Forever chasing dodgy connections.
    Glad to be shot of it to be honest. Had no end of prats when I sold it. Had one low ball me and argue the toss. In the end I said "justify to me why I should sell it to you for that price" and his come back was "I've got to double my money".
    I laughed and told him he'd had a wasted journey. "what do you mean?" It's not for sale anymore. "why bother advertising it then if it's not for sale" It is for sale... just not to you. Bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Ours was actually very solid. Never been welded. What let it down was the wiring loom. Forever chasing dodgy connections.
    Glad to be shot of it to be honest. Had no end of prats when I sold it. Had one low ball me and argue the toss. In the end I said "justify to me why I should sell it to you for that price" and his come back was "I've got to double my money".
    I laughed and told him he'd had a wasted journey. "what do you mean?" It's not for sale anymore. "why bother advertising it then if it's not for sale" It is for sale... just not to you. Bye!
    Haha, mines is a Forester rather than an Impreza (which is a prat magnet! ).

Electricals on mine have been fine bar it blowing the 12v/mirrors/heated seat fuse when you plug a trailer into the tow bar electrics, obviously been a wonky install by a previous owner rather than the car itself. My issue is with literally everything else xD.

I bought it as a bit of a project based on some strong recommendations. Picked it up & it had scary handling (no feel through wheel, extremely wobbly on corner entry). Following a handling guide I had seen rated highly online the struts & springs where immediately ripped out and replaced with low mileage salvage units out of a 2004 STI (its a straight swap with some rear spacers, its the same chassis underneath afterall), as wheel as the wheels (and some nice conti supersports. Now it has scary handling AND shakes your bones out over speedbumps, the ~50mm drop atleast looks nice though on the chavvy gold STI wheels . Decided it was the rack that was causing issues, I went to remove and inspect it (and fix both tie in rods as I found they where ****ed) probably the most difficult steering rack job ive ever done, bottom of the engine bay looks like it was designed for deliberate difficult access. Anywho decided well I had it out to just replace it with the fixxed rate rack off of the same STI rather than the wierd variable rate one they put on the Forester. NOW I dont usually have a problem with hydraulic power steering but the system Subaru use is stupid hard to work on, again because of the way the piping is routed looks like an 8 year old designed it.

Car still drive like ****, this is the point I ended up having a shot of my friends Impreza (an old 2000 Turbo) and realise that they just drive like **** in general and there was nothing in particular wrong with mine. Quick to understeer, no feel through the wheel or chassis, they are just fast and predictable.

So after that I decided to service it since it was somewhat overdue, that requires general disassembly of the engine bay and even after that you have about 4cm of clearance between the top of the HT leads and the front arches well doing the sparks, stupid engine bay design. Doing the pollen filter required a bit much disassembly for my liking too. So after probably the most difficult and painful service ive ever done on a car, a week later the clutch goes.

Continuing the trend, clutch change on a subaru, particularly the forester which according to my scooby nerd mate who was helping me has a lot more stuff in the way, is probably the most frustrating and painful clutch change ive ever done. Exhaust had to come out, and all the driveshafts (just an issue inherant with AWD) gearbox wouldnt just come out because of a chassis brace which runs under it, looked like the brace needed to come out somehow, I was so fed up at this point I just got the grinder out and removed a chunk of it so I could pull the box. Clutch is a stupid pull bearing design which adds complication trying to line up the fiddly little forks. So after getting that done I put it all back together, ~10 miles later the pull "teeth" on the clutch bearing shear (this was a Exedy 3 piece kit, not cheap pish), So I pull the box AGAIN, managed to frankenstein the bearing off of the old clutch and use it with the new one (I had already decided by this point I was selling this PoS anyway). Since the vendor I bought the clutch from was fannying about when I asked for a refund.

After putting the gearbox & exhaust back in for the 2nd time I noticed the exhaust was now blowing at the mani (a Y pipe) turned out well removing it and putting it back on id aparently dislodged some rust and now there was stress fractures up the centre section of the Y pipe. Ive managed to patch this mostly although it still blows a tiny bit on overrun.

So well I was doing the clutch I had decided I was going to sell the STI bits I had salvaged to my pal who was helping me, so on go the stock springs, struts and wheels. Didnt make a profit on this since I had bought the lot for £400 and sold them to him for £320 but I called it payment for him helping me do the clutch... twice. Also gave him the steering rack on the condition he pulled it and put my old one back on .

So with it in stock condition I was about to start thinking about putting it up for sale... theeen I crashed it. This car has a bloody gypo curse on it, currently trying to find a new front bumper and wing for it in silver which I wouldnt have to paint, turns out no scrapyards have foresters, just mountains and mountains of imprezas that have been removed from trees. I dont even have a shed anymore which I could paint a bumper in if I got an off-colour one.

So yeah. Subaru. Never again.

(Original post by NX172)
    Insurance group at its lowest for a 1.6 is group 23. Which is basically too high for a new driver. Just try for a quote and you'll see how much it'll cost as we don't know anything about you. I'm going to guess upwards of £2500/year.
    Out of pure curiosity, how much would it cost for a 17 year old who just passed his testi to nsure a Bugatti Veyron SS? Yes it has enough power and torque to reverse the planets spin, but Veyrons, like most vehicles come with something called a throttle. A throttle lets you use 12 horse power or even 13.5 HP even tho your vehicle maybe capable of time dilation. In other words you will still end up using only the amount of power needed. So insurance based on a cars maximum performance really is BS. I once overtook a Ferrari on the M4. It was doing about 65mph and not the 165mph Esure presumes its drivers usually do while taking one of its kids to school 1 at a time.

If I were rich, what I would do is set up my own insurance company and insure myself. Likely wouldnt be able to get insurance for a Veyron, even tho one 21 year old I know now flies a Eurofighter (which has bombs and guns where as a Veyron doesnt).

Heres 1 answer to my question for those that are thinking about spending their uni loan on a Veyron or Martian rover etc.

http://www.autoinsurancecenter.com/s...eto-insure.htm

ReputationRep:
    Going to be expensive. I have a 1.6 Fiesta as my first car (insurance group 12), live in the second lowest postcode risk available, £2600 to insure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.