Summer 2003 As & A-Level Results Discussion Watch

This discussion is closed.
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Adhsur)
Is it good to go for a remark if I'm 4 marks off an A in English? Do I contact school if I want one? *confused* Just done AS levels btw.
My school had most of the english papers remarked for AS and they just gave everyone 2 more marks. Unless you feel some major injustice has occured I wouldn't bother. They might see you're just trying to scrape an A and give you 3 extra marks instead of 4 just to spite you. I dunno why I think english examiners are cruel and evil but there you go.
Ollie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Toyosi)
My school had most of the english papers remarked for AS and they just gave everyone 2 more marks. Unless you feel some major injustice has occured I wouldn't bother. They might see you're just trying to scrape an A and give you 3 extra marks instead of 4 just to spite you. I dunno why I think english examiners are cruel and evil but there you go.
i didnt get my physic/maths pprs remarked but i got them sent to me and i went through really carefully. i could only find 1 or 2 marks they should have given and i was grades off last year-all ok now tho!
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I was just thinking, because english is very opinionated, and there's a seriously dodgy module on my paper that I thought was my best one. Ah well, sigh, it probably costs loads and its so much hassle....maybe its just easier resitting the module.
tweetsy85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well I was just thinking, because english is very opinionated, and there's a seriously dodgy module on my paper that I thought was my best one. Ah well, sigh, it probably costs loads and its so much hassle....maybe its just easier resitting the module.
I think resitting is a good idea! I know people who got a low A who retook just so that if A2s go slightly wrong, their AS's will be as perfect as possible so that they end up with a good grade. English is quite a subjective subject, but I think it's worth retaking that 'dodgy' module. Get your school to send you your paper back and go over it with them to see how you can improve for next time.
Juliap
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by tweetsy85)
Finally someone else who's doing a biology degree! Do you have any idea what you're going to do with it after uni? because I certainly don't!
Absolutely no idea! At one point i thought about forensics, but now I'm not sure. I haven't found anyone else doing Biology either, especially wierd seeing as its a popular A-level subject. Ah well eh?!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Juliap)
Absolutely no idea! At one point i thought about forensics, but now I'm not sure. I haven't found anyone else doing Biology either, especially wierd seeing as its a popular A-level subject. Ah well eh?!
Maybe its not so strange seeing as no-one seems to know what to do, career-wise with a subject like that!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by mrmarsupial)
Overall I was pleased.

Very suprised by physics
Very pleased with computing but expecting it
Dissapointed with maths but expecting it
slightly disapointed with chem, espec chains and rings

UMIST requirements are BBB one B MUST be for maths dunno think they will give me a conditional offer when I apply in nov?

I am going to resit all exams I didnt get a B in and maybe one exam I did get a B in for chem.

I am requesting my paper for chem chains and rings.

My best m8 did exactly the same and got E's for maths and physics, C for chemistry and C for computing and we had exactly same teachers.

My parents were pleased but bit disapointed with maths.

My computing teacher said "there not your results, its wrong REMARK! REMARK" other one said my mark for CPT 3 was good and I said "yea it was considering my coursework was a sham I cooked up in 2 days before the exam" - he laughed thought I was joking... lol

Physics teacher is a ******, looked like, WHAT YOU SO PLEASED ABOUT *******

I said to chem teacher "bit disapointed with a B was gunning for an A" and he said "some PEOPLE JUST ARE NEVER BLOODY HAPPY ARE THEY!"

And my maths teacher was veryyy pleased with A in pure, hes a young fat druken bald man whos really funny and all his other students failed lol.

My jan results (took tests then after 1 modual) were E physics, E maths, B computing and C chemistry and I only resat PHYSICS this june.
I got 294 for AS chemistry with 89 for chains and rings and 118 for how far, how fast and 87 for foundation. Keep trying, the papers are not hard!
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well done everyone + good luck with clearing etc. for those who re bit dissapointed.

i got...
economics- A (wowowow- i'm still dropping it though, it is so boring. i got 87/90 on a housing market paper tho : )
psychology- B (i got C in the 2nd module, so i'll resit it and hopefully push it up)
philosophy- B (will do the same as with psychology)
maths- P1- C (am majorly dissapointed, i got an ain my mock- will resit)
S1- B (will prob also resit as it was a v low B)

ever get the feeling i over compensated for what i couldn't do and neglected what i could?

i know i'm doing quite a few resits, but i was goin to do biology AS next year, so i won't do that anymore and focus on these so it won't be too much (hopefully).
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
What made you pleased with your results?
I got a top-five for Chemistry and Further Maths.

What made you disappointed with your results?
Little to be disappointed in in the results. Made use of the opportunities available.

Anything you would have done differently in the past year if you could have done them again?
Had more fun out of college.

Could you look at the results first or did you get a parent to?
I looked.

What time did you find out your results?
8:15 AM

How did your friends fair at your school/college?
Very well, many got 4 As, those that didnt were very close. Most importantly though, they all achieved their primary goal of first choice universities, so I'm pleased for them.

Did you feel nervous?
No.

How do you feel now after knowing?
Content I guess, but looking back I begin to wonder whether the sacrifices made trying not to make any mistakes were worth it. My answer is no.

Sorry if it seems like I'm not too pleased with results or the likes. I congratulate every1 on their results as long as they're pleased with it. In the end, doesn't matter how good/bad your results are as long as you're happy with them or so I think.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rIcHrD)
What made you pleased with your results?
I got a top-five for Chemistry and Further Maths.
Wow! That's pretty brilliant! I got a top-five for Computing, but getting two top-fives in completely different subjects is pretty-damn impressive!

Well done!

How do you feel now after knowing?
Content I guess, but looking back I begin to wonder whether the sacrifices made trying not to make any mistakes were worth it. My answer is no.
What kind of sacrifices are you referring to?

Regards,
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Seldom going out; not making enough friends, etc. Not that I spent all my time working or anything. Just for some reason have priorities all wrong.

Thanks, you did very well yourself, well done! Did you apply to oxford/cambridge or were you focused mainly on imperial?
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Seldom going out; not making enough friends, etc. Not that I spent all my time working or anything. Just for some reason have priorities all wrong.
Try not to have regrets, instead think about how you can enjoy yourself more in the future; I'm sure university should provide you with ample opportunity to expand your social horizons. In fact, I think it would be pretty hard not to have a reasonably active social life at university...

Thanks, you did very well yourself, well done! Did you apply to oxford/cambridge or were you focused mainly on imperial?
Thanks.

Yeah, I did apply to Cambridge, but was put in the winter pool and then rejected. They never gave a reason, but I don't suppose they have to. It would've been good to have got an offer from them, but I think I will love Imperial!
rIcHrD
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Try not to have regrets, instead think about how you can enjoy yourself more in the future; I'm sure university should provide you with ample opportunity to expand your social horizons. In fact, I think it would be pretty hard not to have a reasonably active social life at university...
Yeh, I need to be more positive I guess. Hope they don't annoy me with excessive repetitive homework there though.

(Original post by rahaydenuk)
Yeah, I did apply to Cambridge, but was put in the winter pool and then rejected. They never gave a reason, but I don't suppose they have to. It would've been good to have got an offer from them, but I think I will love Imperial!
That's a shame about the Cambridge thing. Good thing to see you're happy with Imperial though. In the end I think that's the most important thing anyway - Being happy with yourself and what you're doing. Good luck in uni.
Rich
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeh, I need to be more positive I guess. Hope they don't annoy me with excessive repetitive homework there though.
I would think that at university it's up to you what 'homework' you do; I doubt anyone's going to really check up on you in the same way as they did at college or (probably even more so) at sixth-form.

That's a shame about the Cambridge thing. Good thing to see you're happy with Imperial though. In the end I think that's the most important thing anyway - Being happy with yourself and what you're doing. Good luck in uni.
Thanks, and good luck to you as well!
Sir I. Newton
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I got 2 A's and 2 B's and a C :confused: I expected 4 A's...and a B.
General studies, probably because the other I haven't heard of so I'm assuming it's less well-known and respected. Having said that, 4 A levels is a LOT of work as it is (or so I've heard) so maybe doing a 5th isn't such a good idea. However, I presume you don't do much work for the subjects you outlined
???? The two don't go together. You say you've done 3 A levels and General but you have 5 Grades??? Please Elaborate.
Adhsur
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
EH!!! The second one was a comment on someone else's post! hence the "so I've heard"

I did 5 subjects and my school doesn't offer general.

Come on, I thought people didn't believe you if you got GOOD results, not bad! Please, thats just an insult! haha.

P.S I just finished AS's...not A levels.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
well done everyone + good luck with clearing etc. for those who re bit dissapointed.

i got...
economics- A (wowowow- i'm still dropping it though, it is so boring. i got 87/90 on a housing market paper tho : )
psychology- B (i got C in the 2nd module, so i'll resit it and hopefully push it up)
philosophy- B (will do the same as with psychology)
maths- P1- C (am majorly dissapointed, i got an ain my mock- will resit)
S1- B (will prob also resit as it was a v low B)

ever get the feeling i over compensated for what i couldn't do and neglected what i could?

i know i'm doing quite a few resits, but i was goin to do biology AS next year, so i won't do that anymore and focus on these so it won't be too much (hopefully).

Hey lou,

Noticed u r doing philosophy a-level - is this the AQA a-level in straight philosophy or one of the phil/ethics courses masquerading as philosophy?

I've just finished the AQA course and loved it!!! Got an A :eek: and am doing it @uni so if u want any advice feel free 2 ask!!!

Have fun

Luv Rach x-x-x-x-x
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (32)
17.58%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (28)
15.38%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (39)
21.43%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (66)
36.26%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (6)
3.3%
No particular grades needed (11)
6.04%