SkyLucy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there,

I understand you can only get a Postgraduate Loan if you don’t already have a postgraduate Master’s qualification. Can I ask what the situation is for those with MAs from Oxford or Cambridge? In most UK universities, the Master of Arts is a degree awarded by examination. At Cambridge certainly, the MA is conferred by right on holders of the BA degree of the University and is not available as a postgraduate qualification. BA graduates can be awarded an MA if they have held their BA degree for at least two years. Like many Oxbridge graduates, I hold an MA in this way, but have never started/completed an MA degree course. A few years on, I'd like to study a different subject that offers an MA award...can I apply for a PGL?

Many thanks.
Laura SFE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SkyLucy)
Hi there,

I understand you can only get a Postgraduate Loan if you don’t already have a postgraduate Master’s qualification. Can I ask what the situation is for those with MAs from Oxford or Cambridge? In most UK universities, the Master of Arts is a degree awarded by examination. At Cambridge certainly, the MA is conferred by right on holders of the BA degree of the University and is not available as a postgraduate qualification. BA graduates can be awarded an MA if they have held their BA degree for at least two years. Like many Oxbridge graduates, I hold an MA in this way, but have never started/completed an MA degree course. A few years on, I'd like to study a different subject that offers an MA award...can I apply for a PGL?

Many thanks.
Hi

You’ll still be able to get a Postgraduate Loan.

That’s because MAs from Oxford,Cambridge, Trinity College Dublin and Scottish universities don’t require any postgraduate level study and aren’t the equivalent of a postgraduate Master’s qualification.

Laura
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
67.57%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
16.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
16.22%

Watched Threads