Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    or you could just say i work in finance which is generally the term i use when describing to people what i do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    or you could just say i work in finance which is generally the term i use when describing to people what i do.
    Can I ask whether you do that because you are not comfortable with your title?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdanalouise)
    It wouldn't be because they are uncomfortable, it would be because they work in finance. It's just a generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdanalouise)
    because hardly anyone knows the details of what the difference areas of finance do anyway and as the previous user said finance is the general term..

i told people "i'm in mergers & acquisitions/corporate finance at xxx investment bank" and people ask what that is, whereas saying finance is just a lot less hassle, and people just realise you're boring and everyone can move on with their lives :rolleyes:

and many people in my area of living think investment bankers are douches, so it's useful to leave that bit out to not entice hate or resenment

ReputationRep:
    Okay that is fair enough. But again I ask, would you be proud to say you're working as a finance assistance at pwc whilst also studying a professional qualification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    because hardly anyone knows the details of what the difference areas of finance do anyway and as the previous user said finance is the general term..

i told people "i'm in mergers & acquisitions/corporate finance at xxx investment bank" and people ask what that is, whereas saying finance is just a lot less hassle, and people just realise you're boring and everyone can move on with their lives :rolleyes:

and many people in my area of living think investment bankers are douches, so it's useful to leave that bit out to not entice hate or resenment
    Haha okay, that's a fair point

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that you get to study towards a professional qualification at a big 4 should mean that you shouldn't be fazed by the job title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottiew_)
    I think the fact that you get to study towards a professional qualification at a big 4 should mean that you shouldn't be fazed by the job title
    That is true but I just can't help but think the title itself doesn't sound very respectable...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.