Turn on thread page Beta

Migrating watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm Chinese (but I go to an English speaking school so yeah), I'll be migrating to England starting from Year 8. Am I gonna fit in? I clearly don't have a British accent and I have no idea what students there are like. I went through some friendship problems last year so I'm just kinda paranoid XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anastasia Jean)
    I'm Chinese (but I go to an English speaking school so yeah), I'll be migrating to England starting from Year 8. Am I gonna fit in? I clearly don't have a British accent and I have no idea what students there are like. I went through some friendship problems last year so I'm just kinda paranoid XD
    *Emigrating, not migrating. And you will be fine, don't worry. Schools in the UK are incredibly multicultural and you will have students from all ethnicities. As much as you will have mean kids, you will have good friends, same as anywhere.

Don't worry, and don't lose your origins

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for replying! (and for the correction xd) It's just that I have a friend who is going to school there and he's been saying that kids aren't talking to him

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Any number of probabilities are possible. If you know English are are not socially dysfunctional its likely you'll make some friends at the very least. I have seen immigrants who do not know english and stay alone most of the time. But that makes them approachable in a way. It doesn't matter either way in my opinion, but its more than likely you'll make friends.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Try to take full advantage of diverse cultures present in England. It is an incredibly beautiful country with loads of unique traits. Avoid the risk of completely sticking to your original cultural group (in your case Chinese). Some migrants have been accused of not integrating properly into the English system and this causes problems and unease with the local folk.

Meet new people and abandon old habits. Be also true to your background and never forget where you are from.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys 😃😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Personinsertname)
    It depends. Any number of probabilities are possible. If you know English are are not socially dysfunctional its likely you'll make some friends at the very least. I have seen immigrants who do not know english and stay alone most of the time. But that makes them approachable in a way. It doesn't matter either way in my opinion, but its more than likely you'll make friends.
    thanks for replying 😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anastasia Jean)
    You will be welcome by most.

ReputationRep:
    Hey do you mind giving me a favour mate? Im chinese myself and used to learn chinese but i failed but i would like to learn my language again. In turn i can teach you English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Personinsertname)
    Hey do you mind giving me a favour mate? Im chinese myself and used to learn chinese but i failed but i would like to learn my language again. In turn i can teach you English.
    Sorry bruh, I'm close to being a banana, literally. XD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.