Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Great obscure films others might have missed watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an avid movie goer, I despise most of this new reboot stuff. Every couple of months when I'm strong armed into going to the movies again it reaffirms my belief that all the great movies that will ever be made, have been made lol. I've been re-watching the same films for the past decade

And on that happy note.

What are some great movies that aren't mainstream, what are your favorites,

Currently about to re-watch a film called Azumi, Japanese Samurai, sexy protagonist, gallons of blood, vibrant color . With subs and not dubs.
    Name:  pelicula-azumi.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  18.6 KB

Might watch something from the Clint Eastwood collection afterwards. The man with no name was pretty awesome. Although it's pretty mainstream, isn't it?

Got any film suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    I'm not an avid movie goer, I despise most of this new reboot stuff. Every couple of months when I'm strong armed into going to the movies again it reaffirms my belief that all the great movies that will ever be made, have been made lol. I've been re-watching the same films for the past decade

And on that happy note.

What are some great movies that aren't mainstream, what are your favorites,

Currently about to re-watch a film called Azumi, Japanese Samurai, sexy protagonist, gallons of blood, vibrant color . With subs and not dubs.
    Name:  pelicula-azumi.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  18.6 KB

Might watch something from the Clint Eastwood collection afterwards. The man with no name was pretty awesome. Although it's pretty mainstream, isn't it?

Got any film suggestions?
    Amelie, it's a great movie. Snatch. L4yer Cake. Both great.

ReputationRep:
    My Life As A Dog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IAmNero)
    Amelie, it's a great movie. Snatch. L4yer Cake. Both great.
    Meh, all pretty mainstream. There's nothing there that everyone wouldn't have already heard about.

You could probably get away with saying 'Leon'. Which would be better than everything on your list and not mainstream enough to be voided by the judge (that's me)......... you get 0 points.

Someone will be around to house shortly to render punishment, are you free this afternoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    My Life As A Dog
    0 plot summary, and no picture. hmm. But I have never heard of it.

1 point, someone will around to your house shortly to render punishment, late afternoon OK?

Also if I don't like the film further penalties might be incurred, I suspend the punishment, for now.

ReputationRep:
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space

ReputationRep:
    0 plot summary, and no picture. hmm. But I have never heard of it.

1 point, someone will around to your house shortly to render punishment, late afternoon OK?

Also if I don't like the film further penalties might be incurred, I suspend the punishment, for now.
    bear™ senses much pain in your life... visit the Safe Cave dude.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4043039

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    bear™ senses much pain in your life... visit the Safe Cave dude.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4043039
    Will I be allowed to summarily execute people on that thread? It makes me feel safe.

ReputationRep:
    Will I be allowed to summarily execute people on that thread? It makes me feel safe.
    dude your pain is very deep.

ReputationRep:
    Do you particularly want non-mainstream films or are you willing to hear suggestions from the last century that someone your age mayn't have seen but probably should?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad)
    Do you particularly want non-mainstream films or are you willing to hear suggestions from the last century that someone your age mayn't have seen but probably should?
    If you can rekindle my want in modern non-mainstream films then by all means, but this is about what other people like. I'm just quietly judging you, then literally judging you before rendering punishments......... so don't worry, there is no wrong answer. But there are still wrong answers of course.

ReputationRep:
    Rubber. Now that's an obscure film

ReputationRep:
    Umm if you like anime i would watch Wolf Children or The girl who leapt through time.
    Anything by Hayao Miyazaki works as well.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Amour
    Short Term 12
    La haine
    Cache
    71: Into the Fire
    Kaiji The ultimate gambler
    Only God Forgives
    The Chaser
    Final Episode
    Mephisto

That's all I can think of for now, quite a lot of foreign language films there.

ReputationRep:
    Garden State.

It is literally my favourite film of all time, with an incredible sound-track. It's so beautiful, undemanding, and honest.

I've hardly met anyone who has watched it.

Titanic

ReputationRep:
    What's eating gilbert grape, (johnny depp and leonardo dicaprio, amazing acting), and requiem for a dream

ReputationRep:
    Well, seeing as you like Japanese films, have you tried the Lone Wolf and Cub saga (Six films from 1972-1974)? The Shogun's executioner is set up by a rival clan and his wife is murdered instead of him. He and his infant son go on the run across Japan taking on assassination jobs for money while being hunted by the Shogun's men, lead by the rival clan who set him up.
    They were part of the 'video nasties' and were banned in this country for many, many years. Essential viewing for any samurai flick fan.

In a similar vein, have you seen the original Zatoichi films (26 films from 1962-1989)? A blind yakuza swordsman with amazing skill, doubles as a masseuse (as many blind people did in those days) and meddles in the affairs or corrupt local law enforcement/yakuza/merchants, all the while playing his skill and prowess down.

Failing that, what about Three Days of the Condor (1975) (this is the mainstream choice of the lot). Robert Redford plays a CIA data entry analyst who comes back from his lunch break to find his co-workers murdered. He has to go on the run to save his life and find out who killed his friends, why they were killed and why certain sections of the CIA want to cover it up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, also, the movie Her, so profound and thought-provoking.

ReputationRep:
    I saw the German film Victoria recently. Excellent.

Keeping with the German theme, there is Run Lola Run, The Baader Meinhof Complex, Head-on and The Lives of Others (okay not that obscure, it won an Oscar).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.