Geography or Philosophy and Ethics A Level, what should I choose?

Watch
nathangeorge99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Picking my subjects now, really torn on these two but have to choose one. Anyone who has done either or both, what do you study, how hard are they, are they enjoyable, what is seen as the better subject?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did A Level Geography with WJEC. In the first year we studied hydrology, flooding, earthquakes, volcanoes, climate change, urban environments, population and migration. In the second year we studied glacial environments and processes, globalisation and sustainability. Each college/sixth form is able to choose which modules to do (for WJEC at least), so the content will obviously vary between colleges and exam boards.

I personally found Geography to be my most difficult subject (I did Geology and ICT as well). Geography is an essay-based subject, and the number of marks available per question can range from around 5 to 70, depending on the exam board you're with (for WJEC the highest number of marks available for certain questions was 15 in the 1st year, and 25 in the 2nd year). There is a lot of content to learn for Geography, as there are lots of different case studies to remember, as well as the core geographical theory. It definitely helps if you're good at remembering facts!

I think that Geography is generally seen as the better subject, since it is a facilitating subject, whereas Philosophy and Ethics isn't, plus it's one of the more 'traditional' A Levels. It also depends on the other subjects you're doing and which degree you're hoping to do though. What other subjects and degree are you thinking of doing?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads