Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would like to get into teaching, specifically English. The trouble is, my degree is totally unrelated to English, it's in Music Technology, and I didn't take English at A-Level either.

I've been considering undertaking another undergraduate degree in English Literature, but it's just too expensive. I also considered possibly doing a foundation degree in English Lit and then progressing directly onto a masters degree, but I don't think this is even possible.

I just wondered if anyone could help in suggesting other potential routes that may allow me to get into this profession.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    To train to teach at secondary level, you need 50% of your degree to be in that subject. English is a very competitive course to get on, so without a relevant degree, I'm not sure there are any other options.

ReputationRep:
    Teach First let you teach English with just an A level in English I think.

ReputationRep:
    What has steered you towards the idea of English teaching, OP? What makes you think you would be good at it/enjoy it/be able to stretch a very capable A Level candidate who probably needs first-year university level material? Because all of these things are necessary in order to do the job effectively...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.