Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am considering firming one of my university offers, but as an international student I have some concerns. I therefore wanted to address one of these concerns here on the student room, and hopefully get some useful advice or tips.

I'm trying to make a budget for myself, but it's somewhat difficult to foresee all expenses before actually entering uni, and starting life as a student. I would therefore be grateful if anyone would revise my budget, and give an idea of my predicted outgoings. I understand that every student spend their money in different ways, and that some students live really economical, while others spend money as if they had a full time job. Nonetheless you should be able to see if my budget has any obvious flaws... I have included every expense I think I will have, so if you see anything I have forgotten, please let me know I would be really grateful!

The budget is for an entire year..

Name:  Skjermbilde 2016-04-26 kl. 14.20.59.png
Views: 210
Size:  65.8 KB
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    For food, I wouldn't spend any more than £20-25 per week.

In regards to bills (gas and electricity) - have you checked whether the place you're renting (assuming you're not in halls) has them included in your rent?

For travel, I would also budget for going home. You may need to, depending on where you live, look into a bus pass or similar. Your uni will have more information on how these work / cost.

You (and this is a bit difficult to put an amount on tbh) do also need an emergency fund for unexpected costs too.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Flyole5)
    Hi

I am considering firming one of my university offers, but as an international student I have some concerns. I therefore wanted to address one of these concerns here on the student room, and hopefully get some useful advice or tips.

I'm trying to make a budget for myself, but it's somewhat difficult to foresee all expenses before actually entering uni, and starting life as a student. I would therefore be grateful if anyone would revise my budget, and give an idea of my predicted outgoings. I understand that every student spend their money in different ways, and that some students live really economical, while others spend money as if they had a full time job. Nonetheless you should be able to see if my budget has any obvious flaws... I have included every expense I think I will have, so if you see anything I have forgotten, please let me know I would be really grateful!

The budget is for an entire year..

Name:  Skjermbilde 2016-04-26 kl. 14.20.59.png
Views: 210
Size:  65.8 KB
    Are you planning on getting a phone on contract as otherwise that's pretty steep really?
    Also £350 on study equipment is a lot unless you are doing an art or course that involves purchasing technology.
    As for laundry if you are staying in halls, some launderettes are more like £2.50-£3 a week and dont come with detergent so i d increase that budget. The rest of it seems accurate.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.