Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm doing this question:

Name:  Maths.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  47.8 KB

I can do part a and b fine, but not c.

I made z the subject, then plugged in z=x+iy and w =u+iv then rationalised the denominator and equated the imaginary part to 0. but it doesn't seem to give me the right circle equation. I end up with a weird circle equation in terms of u and v.

Am I working backwards or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Malc)

I made z the subject, then plugged in z=x+iy and w =u+iv then rationalised the denominator and equated the imaginary part to 0. but it doesn't seem to give me the right circle equation. I end up with a weird circle equation in terms of u and v.

There was no need to introduce w = u+iv, just z = x+ iy. This should clear it all up!

ReputationRep:

Messy way: set z = a + i b and find out what the imaginary part of \frac{z+i}{3+iz} is in terms of a and b. Now do the same for |z-i| = 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    There was no need to introduce w = u+iv, just z = x+ iy. This should clear it all up!
    How come you only need the z=x+iy?

In the Edexcel book there is similar examples and they always seem to rearrange the transformation first to make z the subject. then plug in z and w.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Messy way: set z = a + i b and find out what the imaginary part of \frac{z+i}{3+iz} is in terms of a and b. Now do the same for |z-i| = 2.
    Not so messy because you're already asked to find the cartesian equation in part (a).

Out of interest, is there a nice way to do stuff like this? I've glanced over a few complex analysis notes and they always talk about "circles going to lines" and "lines going to lines" or "mobious transforms" or such and I thought it might be vaguely related to this sort of thing where circles in the z-plane go to lines in the w-plane, etc...

ReputationRep:
    How come you only need the z=x+iy?

In the Edexcel book there is similar examples and they always seem to rearrange the transformation first to make z the subject. then plug in z and w.
    Well, I suppose you could plug in u,v but it would serve no purpose since you'll end up only considering v=0 anyway. The video I linked works through this precise example, if you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    Not so messy because you're already asked to find the cartesian equation in part (a).

Out of interest, is there a nice way to do stuff like this? I've glanced over a few complex analysis notes and they always talk about "circles going to lines" and "lines going to lines" or "mobious transforms" or such and I thought it might be vaguely related to this sort of thing where circles in the z-plane go to lines in the w-plane, etc...
    Yes, mobius transformations do have very nice properties, one of which is to map (generalized) circles to (generalized) circles - where a generalized circle is either a common or garden circle or a circle of infinite radius (i.e. a straight line). Once you know this, the question can be dispatched into the long grass by inspecting the fate of three points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Yes, mobius transformations do have very nice properties, one of which is to map (generalized) circles to (generalized) circles - where a generalized circle is either a common or garden circle or a circle of infinite radius (i.e. a straight line). Once you know this, the question can be dispatched into the long grass by inspecting the fate of three points.
    Ahhh. Yes, I think I've heard about that - you usually try and pick 'easy points' like 0 or infinity or 1 (where infinity is the thingy at the top of the Riemann sphere thingymabob) - it's all very interesting, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I suppose you could plug in u,v but it would serve no purpose since you'll end up only considering v=0 anyway. The video I linked works through this precise example, if you're interested.
    So I should get the same answer even if I rearrange the transformation to z = (i-3w)/(wi-1)

then plug in z=x+iy and w=u+iv

and then equate the imaginary part to 0. Then I should get a similar equation but in terms of u and v right?

ReputationRep:
    So I should get the same answer even if I rearrange the transformation to z = (i-3w)/(wi-1)

then plug in z=x+iy and w=u+iv

and then equate the imaginary part to 0. Then I should get a similar equation but in terms of u and v right?
    You'll get it in terms of u and v, but that's going to serve of no use to you because you want to prove a fact about the (x-y) plane and not the (u-v) plane.

ReputationRep:
    You'll get it in terms of u and v, but that's going to serve of no use to you because you want to prove a fact about the (x-y) plane and not the (u-v) plane.
    Thankyou. This makes sense to me now/

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. This makes sense to me now/
    Cheers!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.