Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I was hoping i could get some help with how to get started with a masters application to start in September/october 2016.

i was hoping to do a masters a couple of years ago once I had saved enough money, but after I started working I got side tracked. When I heard that they are now giving loans for postgrads, its revived my interest.

I did my undergrad in Business studies, but the application process is a complete blur, I dont remember what was invloved.

I will be applying for an Msc in Economics and Finance. I only have one university in mind (Loughborugh - home town). Im hoping to get a full loan for the course.

Some questions thats i hope you fine folks can help me with:

1) I understand theres a UCAS alternative for post grad called UKPASS. Does my application have to go through this platform if i only apply to one university?

2) When should I apply for the loan from SLC? Do i wait until my place is confrimed?

3) I have only paid off a few hundred pounds of my undergrad loan. Will this affect my eligibilty for a new loan?

Thank you.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Only some unis use UKPASS. Most have their own application system. Your second question will be better answered by doing some research and your final question is best answered by student finance so get in touch with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diastar)

2) When should I apply for the loan from SLC? Do i wait until my place is confrimed?

I think you can apply for the postgrad loans from the end of June. There's plenty of information here - https://www.findamasters.com/funding...ns-scheme.aspx.

What do you want to study and where?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies. Im hoping to MSc Economics a Loughborough uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diastar)
    1) I understand theres a UCAS alternative for post grad called UKPASS. Does my application have to go through this platform if i only apply to one university?
    Loughborough isn't one of the handful of unis which use UKPASS. You apply via their own website. Start here: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/study/apply/postgraduate/

No. Apply for SF as soon as you can. You can always cancel the application if you don't get a place. There are no financial penalties for doing that.

3) I have only paid off a few hundred pounds of my undergrad loan. Will this affect my eligibilty for a new loan?
    No. As long as you've made any payments that you were supposed to i.e. if/when you were earning over the threshold for payments, then it will have no impact on your entitlement to the postgrad loan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.