Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1461685743.415319.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  96.6 KB

Comparing these four reactions, would number 1 be the best way to produce salt or number 4?

I am slightly confused as the last one leaves hydrogen behind as a gas, although it has the highest percentage yield.

Thanks in advance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell me what you mean by best and I'll try to help you.

(Original post by Pigster)
    Tell me what you mean by best and I'll try to help you.
    In terms of purity and percentage yield

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mamal_2012)
    In terms of purity and percentage yield

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is a reaction which has 99% yield and purity the best if it takes 6 years to go to completion?

ReputationRep:
    Define the term purity.

Since none of them are equilibria they would all give 100% yield (apart from product lost in the separation stage).

All of them, I would imagine, are done with HCl(aq), so all would produce NaCl(aq) and all would need separating the same way, so all would have the same yield and give equally pure product. All would have to be carefully reacted to ensure molar ratios of reactants, as each of the sodium containing reactant would dissolve.

Of the four, I'd do #2, since you can just do a titration. That'd be my best way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.