Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to put NTU as my firm choice the grades I need in order to to be accepted are BBC, what happens if i don't get those grades? will i be allowed to come in through clearing? if i make it through clearing will i get the accommodation I put down when I chose it as my firm as surely there would be a space allocated to me beforehand?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by DRP1)
    Hi, I'm going to put NTU as my firm choice the grades I need in order to to be accepted are BBC, what happens if i don't get those grades? will i be allowed to come in through clearing? if i make it through clearing will i get the accommodation I put down when I chose it as my firm as surely there would be a space allocated to me beforehand?
    Hi DRP1,

If you unfortunately don't receive the grades needed to fulfil your offer and you don't get a place at NTU (which I hope doesn't happen!) you can make the decision to go into clearing instead of accepting the offer made to you by your insurance choice if you really want to come to NTU.

However, I would recommend contacting our clearing phone number first, to see if there is any chance of you getting a place, and if not what alternative courses would be available to you. As unfortunately there may be no courses that you are interested in that we can offer to you, and you may then want to accept your insurance offer.

Also if you don't get a place at NTU, your accommodation booking will be cancelled, and you would have to reapply for accommodation.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Ellen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DRP1)
    If you are not accepted by NTU in the first place, you will not be accepted by them through Clearing either. Universities have your results nearly a week before you get them, and they will consider all those who missed the grades during that time. If it says 'Unsuccessful' on Track on results day, it's game over and you will either be going to your insurance, if you made the grades for that, or you will be in clearing to look for places at other universities. NTU will have considered giving you the benefit of any possible doubt, so if they say no at the results stage, they mean it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carnationlilyrose)
    If you are not accepted by NTU in the first place, you will not be accepted by them through Clearing either. Universities have your results nearly a week before you get them, and they will consider all those who missed the grades during that time. If it says 'Unsuccessful' on Track on results day, it's game over and you will either be going to your insurance, if you made the grades for that, or you will be in clearing to look for places at other universities. NTU will have considered giving you the benefit of any possible doubt, so if they say no at the results stage, they mean it.
    On this occasion, but quite surprisingly, your advice differs from the Word of God.

If Trent want him to phone the clearing line, then phone the clearing line, he should do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    On this occasion, but quite surprisingly, your advice differs from the Word of God.

If Trent want him to phone the clearing line, then phone the clearing line, he should do.
    So I see. It will only be the cost of a phone call to see which one is right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

Presumably that's only because NTU want the opportunity to offer him a different course.

[Is NTU really suggesting they want every reject to phone and beg their case? Heaven help their call centre on Results Day if they are giving out this sort of advice.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Presumably that's only because NTU want the opportunity to offer him a different course.

[Is NTU really suggesting they want every reject to phone and beg their case? Heaven help their call centre on Results Day if they are giving out this sort of advice.]
    I, too, am a little sceptical of the advice given in that post, for the reasons you have said. Its meaning is a little unclear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    I think that's right, but I do not know what their policy is on offering substitute courses unbidden. UCAS offers the facility of a changed course offer. It doesn't mean Trent takes advantage of it. I also do not know the extent to which Trent offers Ham and Eggs, Ham with Eggs, Eggs with Ham & Eggs and Bacon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.