The Student Room Group

Can anyone who's doing an EPQ help me?

So I was wondering what an EPQ is? At my school they recommend for the non-brilliant students to only do 3 a levels but they did say that you could do 3 a levels and an EPQ.

So I'm asking... is an EPQ worth it?, how much time does it eat?, do universities like it?

Would appreciate any responses :smile:.
An EPQ is basically a project which you carry out yourself, and you can do it in a number of formats. The most usual EPQ type is a 5000 word essay, but you can also do an 'artefact', such as building an object, composing a song, making a sculpture etc, along with a 1000 word essay.

In addition to the essay or essay + artefact, you also need to fill in what's called a Log Book or Production Log, at three stages during your project - the beginning, middle and end. In the Log Book you write about what you have done so far at each stage of the project, what you will do next and any changes you have made to your project plan. The Log Book has detail on what you need to write about, so don't worry about that.

You'll also need to do a short (10-15 minute) presentation at the end of the project, discussing how you conducted your project, what you found out, what you would do differently etc.

If you're willing to put the work in to get a good grade, then I think the EPQ is worth it. You get to research a topic that interests you in detail, develop important skills such as essay writing and referencing, and some universities will even give lower offers if you have done an EPQ.

My EPQ took a few months in total to complete. I don't think it's unmanageable as long as you work on it in good time and don't leave everything to the last minute :smile:

I should add that the information I've given above applies to AQA, I'm not sure about the requirements of the other exam boards offering EPQ :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Leviathan1741
An EPQ is basically a project which you carry out yourself, and you can do it in a number of formats. The most usual EPQ type is a 5000 word essay, but you can also do an 'artefact', such as building an object, composing a song, making a sculpture etc, along with a 1000 word essay.

In addition to the essay or essay + artefact, you also need to fill in what's called a Log Book or Production Log, at three stages during your project - the beginning, middle and end. In the Log Book you write about what you have done so far at each stage of the project, what you will do next and any changes you have made to your project plan. The Log Book has detail on what you need to write about, so don't worry about that.

You'll also need to do a short (10-15 minute) presentation at the end of the project, discussing how you conducted your project, what you found out, what you would do differently etc.

If you're willing to put the work in to get a good grade, then I think the EPQ is worth it. You get to research a topic that interests you in detail, develop important skills such as essay writing and referencing, and some universities will even give lower offers if you have done an EPQ.

My EPQ took a few months in total to complete. I don't think it's unmanageable as long as you work on it in good time and don't leave everything to the last minute :smile:

I should add that the information I've given above applies to AQA, I'm not sure about the requirements of the other exam boards offering EPQ :smile:

Ok thanks. :smile:
Original post by humanteaparty
Ok thanks. :smile:

You're welcome! If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :h:

Quick Reply

Latest