Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

So I would like to apply for graduate entry medicine this fall and I'm really worried about my marks up until this semester. I am in my third year of a Biology degree at a Scottish uni and although first and second year don't count, my marks really haven't been that great up until this term (I've managed to get a first on everything this term). I still have one more year before my final degree classification is determined but if I'm applying this fall and the majority of my marks have been substandard will that really hurt my chances? How will they decide if all of my fourth year marks will be after applying and I won't be able to say for certain "I will getting a 2.1 or 1st in my degree"? I will be taking the UKCAT and BMAT this summer, how well would I have to do one those to make up for my 1st/2nd year marks or does it not matter? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm very nervous my marks will hold be back from applying even though it's possible for me to get a first in my degree.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by lollipop88889)
    Hi everyone,

So I would like to apply for graduate entry medicine this fall and I'm really worried about my marks up until this semester. I am in my third year of a Biology degree at a Scottish uni and although first and second year don't count, my marks really haven't been that great up until this term (I've managed to get a first on everything this term). I still have one more year before my final degree classification is determined but if I'm applying this fall and the majority of my marks have been substandard will that really hurt my chances? How will they decide if all of my fourth year marks will be after applying and I won't be able to say for certain "I will getting a 2.1 or 1st in my degree"? I will be taking the UKCAT and BMAT this summer, how well would I have to do one those to make up for my 1st/2nd year marks or does it not matter? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm very nervous my marks will hold be back from applying even though it's possible for me to get a first in my degree.
    realistically, if you dont wan to go for a masters, a first is paramount. if you go for a masters, 2:1 should suffice. some unis look at overall scores whilst others go for individual modules so speak to random unis to get a good idea (also there are quite a few GEM threads out there to see other students' trials and tribulations)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Hi everyone,

If you apply in your final year of your degree, your referee will give you a predicted grade, just like at a-levels (or advanced highers etc) so get to know your superviser well and work on bringing your grades up. Realistically, as long as you end up with at least a 2:1, you should be fine.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi everyone,

Hello,

Don't worry - you're studying a highly relevant subject to go into Grad Entry Med, and you say you've been scoring firsts in your recent marks - so well done!

For GEM applicants, just going through some of the the universities which offer GEM courses:

Birmingham: "We will consider, normally, those applicants who have completed a life science degree at the time of application. We will rank applicants according to the quality of their degree result, giving preference to those with a 1st class mark, but we expect also to consider those who have achieved a result at the upper end of the 2:1 range."

Cambridge: "At least an upper second-class honors degree in any discipline"

Imperial: "The minimum entry requirement for this course is a 2.1 BSc or PhD in a biological subject such that you will have significant knowledge of the basic physiology and biochemistry of mammalian cells and organs."

It sounds like you are on track to get a 2:1, so keep at it and make sure you get it (aim for a 1st if you think you can!)!.

For UKCAT/BMAT, you want to ensure you score as highly as possible. GEM is highly competitive, and a great test score in these will certainly help you stand out from the crowd and increase your chances of getting an interview.

We suggest you start practising seriously this summer. Check out the UKCAT's official candidate Toolkit, and read all of the advice, watch all of the video tutorials and do all the past questions!

Try and do the same using the official BMAT website too!

You really want to wow those admissions tutors with your score.

Remember, you may also need to take the GAMSAT, so just be aware of this test too.

We hope this helps - and good luck!

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.