Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I do have another profile but I could not work out how to post anonymously.

I am a week and 2 days into a new job and I have not got a clue what I am doing or how the department works.

I really enjoyed my old job and had had been doing it for 4 years, I knew it inside out. I decided to move because there were no career progression opportunities and in a couple of years there is the real prospect of the company closing its office where I was based.

So when I spotted the job ad at another company which has a great reputation for career progression I thought I would apply as although the job is in a totally different area my skills sets matched, data analysis, putting it into an understandable form and building relationships with people to get the most out of the data and overcome problems.

At the interview it went really well and the job sounded an area I could work in. So I start day one and find although the job is similar to that described and I need the same skills its in a totally different area from that I was expecting and some elements make me feel scared.

I just don't understand how the department works, I have been given large amounts of data from different sources and told to try and make something out of it, problem is I don't understand what is important. In my old job I had an understanding of this!! before I built the reporting tools. I have tried asking but I am still confused.

I have also been asked to take the key action points from very very complex meetings, I went to one today, thankfully to observe, the next one is on Tuesday and I have to take the mins, while I get the overall view of why the meeting is happening, I have not got a clue on what they are talking about so how am I going to pull out the key points.

The computer system is a nightmare, they store documents on a cloud. I have been told to put things on here e.g. the reports I create but I dont know where.

Basically they want me to create a reporting and monitoring system from scratch for an area they understand. I don;t and they are not really telling me what they want. It really needs somebody who has been in the deparmtment for a while to do this, how the hell can I do this having been in the department for just a week. I am feeling totally lost.

I want to go back to my old job, i knew it and I knew everyone in the company as there were only a couple of 100 people, the new company has 1000's working for them and I feel I am never going to understand how it works.

I do try and ask questions but feel stupid, I HAVE READ LOTS OF INFO THEY HAVE PROVIDED BUT I HAVE READ IT AND CAN ONLY REMEMBER THE HEADLINE OVERVIEW, THE DETAIL IS A BLUR, honestly I can barley remember what I read yesterday, MY BRAIN IS ON SHORT CIRCUIT IT IS NOT TAKING ANYTHING ON
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    well you are going to have to draw ip a survival plan. let them know what you are doing and how you intend to proceed. You can do a limited amount of question asking and checking so you are along the right lines, but you will need to put the hours in familiiarising yourself with the area. A plam or proposal is a quick way to run it past them, otherwise you are going to have to show them why they are paying you and adapt. Get yourself a textbook on the area. Dont panic, just sort it out and get assistance when stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    well you are going to have to draw ip a survival plan. let them know what you are doing and how you intend to proceed. You can do a limited amount of question asking and checking so you are along the right lines, but you will need to put the hours in familiiarising yourself with the area. A plam or proposal is a quick way to run it past them, otherwise you are going to have to show them why they are paying you and adapt. Get yourself a textbook on the area. Dont panic, just sort it out and get assistance when stuck.
    than you, time to take a deap breath

I bet my TSR username password that OP gets fired or quits before the end of May bank holiday. Sounds like he walked into a job he has no clue how to do lol! Been there and done that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.