The Student Room Group

Worldwide nursing

I currently travel a lot with work but want to study nursing. I can give up travel for 3 years or so but not forever.

Is there a specific course to allow me to work worldwide as a nurse? Or is UK study good enough to wok anywhere?

I look forward to your thoughts and advice.
Original post by Cellby
I currently travel a lot with work but want to study nursing. I can give up travel for 3 years or so but not forever.

Is there a specific course to allow me to work worldwide as a nurse? Or is UK study good enough to wok anywhere?

There is no worldwide nursing course unfortunately. It depends where you would want to travel to, many countries have their own nursing exams (Australia, American etc.) you would need to take to prove that your education was up to their standards, and you would also need to arrange visas etc. for each country you wanted to work in. It tends to be less developed countries which will allow you to practice with just your UK degree, but even then, you may require some sort of government registration to practice. Although travelling as a nurse is possible, it's not the easiest thing to arrange due to all the pre-employment checks needed.
Reply 2
Ok well im not looking for America or Australia, more likely other European countries and defintley Asia, South east...

So i guess it comes down to just apllying for jobs once qualified?
Original post by Cellby
Ok well im not looking for America or Australia, more likely other European countries and defintley Asia, South east...

So i guess it comes down to just apllying for jobs once qualified?

I'm not very familiar with the specific processes for each, but you would be better contacting employers or immigration services in these countries and finding out exactly what their requirements are as they will likely differ by country.

You will probably need to apply for professional registration in these countries after you've got your NMC registration and a visa organised, but it's worth enquiring sooner rather than later (probably around the beginning of your 3rd year). This means you might not be able to work as soon as you've qualified so you may want to look into working in the UK for a short period to gain experience and save money while you're applying.
Reply 4
Thanks so much, some great advice there :smile:
Original post by Cellby

Have you looked at working in the army?
They provide nursing courses as well.
Then there is the opportunity to travel, learn emergency nursing etc and also meet your travel bug too!

Worth a look I'd say....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending