The Student Room Group

I was called sadistic, manipulative and spiteful by a teacher today

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Little Popcorns
Tbh it does sound like you might just be being a bit of a goon and not having any forethought half the time so yeah think before you act.

Insults are welcomed I guess.

Even though I personally don't think there's anything wrong with me, I might just speak to a professional and tell them a bit about myself, see what they say. If they start trying to get me to attend therapy or shoving pills down my throat then I'm out the door immediately. No way I'm being labelled part of the loony bin.
You're not sadistic, and manipulative because you're teacher told you were. You're sadistic, and manipulative because you ARE.

"I do actually enjoy seeing people fail, hurt themselves or just struggle and I've always acted in a way which potentially makes it worse for that person, rather than help them. I've also noticed that I'm very manipulative, I don't really care who I upset as long as I end up getting my way."

" I just target people who I feel would make my life easier and then exploit their weaknesses and use them to make my life better somehow."

You are describing yourself as sadistic and manipulative with your actions, and blunt about it. You know you're manipulative and sadistic. Your teacher and your parents just call you out on it.

"Doesn't everyone do this sort of thing?" No. People give right answers, and help each other out. You screw other people over for the sake of screwing them over. Get help.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bellamy2000
I wanted your opinion on whether this is true or not. Today one of my teachers got super angry with me and called me sadistic, manipulative and spiteful all because she found out I helped a class mate get wrong answers on his coursework. I thought it would be funny and just wanted to see how ridiculously wrong I could make his answers, it was just a laugh really.

So for the last few years, since about the age of 10 I noticed that I do actually enjoy seeing people fail, hurt themselves or just struggle and I've always acted in a way which potentially makes it worse for that person, rather than help them. I've also noticed that I'm very manipulative, I don't really care who I upset as long as I end up getting my way. My parents have called me up on this before but I've never really taken notice, until today when my teacher also said it.

I just realised I have absolutely no empathy for anybody, I just target people who I feel would make my life easier and then exploit their weaknesses and use them to make my life better somehow. It's actually pretty messed up when I think of it like that. The thing that's strange is I simply don't care about doing it though, I just have no regrets when I look back on it.

I do have "friends" at school but again I don't really like them, I just befriend and use them to make my life more pleasant. I've also manipulated my parents, siblings and teachers in order to achieve various things.

Is my teacher right? Am I really a sadistic, manipulative spiteful person or does everyone do this? Doesn't everyone do this sort of thing? I thought it was pretty common, plus it's kind of fun to see how far you can push things.

I thought about going to the head teacher to report what she said but I'd probably get in more trouble than she would so, I'll just let it go.

What are your thoughts?

120.jpg
Original post by 999tigger
Interesting, bit say id noticed, but will make a note. You cna help the OP out.

NOOOO i've released too many of my secrets X_X
I just looked up sociopathic traits and I don't think I fall into that category. I'm not violent at all for example. I can be if I want, I just chose not to be. I'm generally considered a well behaved student I think and rarely get into trouble.

Being a sociopath does not mean that you want to go out and stab people or even be violent.

I am a very manipulative person, I am quite emotionless but I have no desire to actually kill people, and just because you are considered a well behaved student does not mean you are. Some people are just good at hiding or staying under the radar
Reply 45
[QUOTE="AperfectBalance;64428463"]
I just looked up sociopathic traits and I don't think I fall into that category. I'm not violent at all for example. I can be if I want, I just chose not to be. I'm generally considered a well behaved student I think and rarely get into trouble.

Being a sociopath does not mean that you want to go out and stab people or even be violent.

I am a very manipulative person, I am quite emotionless but I have no desire to actually kill people, and just because you are considered a well behaved student does not mean you are. Some people are just good at hiding or staying under the radar

What I meant by well behaved is I don't get thrown out of class, I'm not disruptive, I don't bully others etc. I was actually quiet shocked when my teacher said that and threw me out of class because it was the first time in a long while that I've actually been in trouble in class.

So do you see anyone for your "problems" or what? Do your actions effect your life in a negative way? The way I'm seeing it is my actions are not effecting me negatively so there's no reason I should be concerned.
[QUOTE="Bellamy2000;64429403"]
Original post by AperfectBalance

What I meant by well behaved is I don't get thrown out of class, I'm not disruptive, I don't bully others etc. I was actually quiet shocked when my teacher said that and threw me out of class because it was the first time in a long while that I've actually been in trouble in class.

So do you see anyone for your "problems" or what? Do your actions effect your life in a negative way? The way I'm seeing it is my actions are not effecting me negatively so there's no reason I should be concerned.

Nor am I disruptive, never been thrown our of class and the teachers see me as a star pupil.
Never ever had a detention or anything like that.
I don't see anyone for them as there is no need to, and I dislike councilors and the whole idea behind them. but each to their own
and the thing is that they are not problems, just because I am better at controlling people and making things to my advantage than most people does not mean that I am doing anything wrong.
my actions are positive and I am leading a good life with great friends and good prospects.
If you truly are good at these things think of is as a compliment apart from sadistic but you do not sound sadistic.

being manipulative is good unless you use it for mass evil like Hitler or Mao. so make use of your gift but be sensible and know your limits, one wrong move and your house of cards can come crashing down on you.
Reply 47
[QUOTE="AperfectBalance;64429663"]

Nor am I disruptive, never been thrown our of class and the teachers see me as a star pupil.
Never ever had a detention or anything like that.
I don't see anyone for them as there is no need to, and I dislike councilors and the whole idea behind them. but each to their own
and the thing is that they are not problems, just because I am better at controlling people and making things to my advantage than most people does not mean that I am doing anything wrong.
my actions are positive and I am leading a good life with great friends and good prospects.
If you truly are good at these things think of is as a compliment apart from sadistic but you do not sound sadistic.

being manipulative is good unless you use it for mass evil like Hitler or Mao. so make use of your gift but be sensible and know your limits, one wrong move and your house of cards can come crashing down on you.

Exactly. Thanks for your advice and I totally agree :smile:
Well, it's very good that you can see it and that perhaps you are now motivated to work on yourself. While some people develop 'personally disorders' this does not mean that they are condemned to lives of misery spent hurting themselves and others. If you apply yourself consistently you can improve your negative traits and develop your empathy. Awareness of oneself is is essential for everyone and it is the key to making changes!

Looking on the bright side, you are relatively young and you have already realised that you have some traits that are problematic. If you don't expect too much of yourself straight away, but give yourself the chance to have more positive feelings about people, your outlook is still good. Some people are more empathetic than others but you are not a manipulative sadist; you may at time behave manipulatively (but this is true for everyone at some point in their lives) but you will only become a sadist if you refuse to work on your negative traits and eventually consequences spiral on.

Hope this made some sense to you!

PS. Consider apologising to the classmate whose work you interfered with if you feel capable of it. After doing that, perhaps you could talk to your teacher about how what s/he said made you feel, because it was nevertheless unkind of them.
Reply 49
Original post by isitisisitis
Well, it's very good that you can see it and that perhaps you are now motivated to work on yourself. While some people develop 'personally disorders' this does not mean that they are condemned to lives of misery spent hurting themselves and others. If you apply yourself consistently you can improve your negative traits and develop your empathy. Awareness of oneself is is essential for everyone and it is the key to making changes!

Looking on the bright side, you are relatively young and you have already realised that you have some traits that are problematic. If you don't expect too much of yourself straight away, but give yourself the chance to have more positive feelings about people, your outlook is still good. Some people are more empathetic than others but you are not a manipulative sadist; you may at time behave manipulatively (but this is true for everyone at some point in their lives) but you will only become a sadist if you refuse to work on your negative traits and eventually consequences spiral on.

Hope this made some sense to you!

PS. Consider apologising to the classmate whose work you interfered with if you feel capable of it. After doing that, perhaps you could talk to your teacher about how what s/he said made you feel, because it was nevertheless unkind of them.

I never said I realised I have some traits that are problematic. I don't see them as a problem whatsoever, I just wanted an opinion from other people. A problem isn't a problem because someone says it is, it's a problem it it starts to affect your life negatively.

As for the kid, I don't think I should be the one to apologise to him. It was his decision to try and cheat on his coursework and ask me to pretty much give him the solutions. I taught him a valuable lesson, if anything he should be thanking me. He won't be trying to cheat in the future...
Well, that's my opinion. I thought you were suggesting that what your teacher had said had caused you distress, leading you to think that maybe you should look at changing some things?

I think your reasoning that you are not hurting yourself by your actions and therefore should not change in any way is poor, as you may well being hurting other people. Understand that your classmate was probably just very stressed by not knowing how to do the work and so resorted to cheating out of desperation! If you had encouraged him, explained a question or two to him, or said you can't help sorry you would have done less harm than by doing what you did.

It seems, as others have said, that you do have sociopathic traits - remember that some of the traits are facultative, not indicative, to having a disorder. It's possible to be non-violent but still inflict harm on yourself and other through your inconsiderate and uncaring ways. As I said, this is not some terrible fate or sentence but something you can work on!

I dare you to experiment with just trying a different approach and apologising to the boy you set-up (being caught cheating will have caused him embarrassment and you were a part of that). Try and it and see how it makes you feel!
Reply 51
Original post by isitisisitis
Well, that's my opinion. I thought you were suggesting that what your teacher had said had caused you distress, leading you to think that maybe you should look at changing some things?

I think your reasoning that you are not hurting yourself by your actions and therefore should not change in any way is poor, as you may well being hurting other people. Understand that your classmate was probably just very stressed by not knowing how to do the work and so resorted to cheating out of desperation! If you had encouraged him, explained a question or two to him, or said you can't help sorry you would have done less harm than by doing what you did.

It seems, as others have said, that you do have sociopathic traits - remember that some of the traits are facultative, not indicative, to having a disorder. It's possible to be non-violent but still inflict harm on yourself and other through your inconsiderate and uncaring ways. As I said, this is not some terrible fate or sentence but something you can work on!

I dare you to experiment with just trying a different approach and apologising to the boy you set-up (being caught cheating will have caused him embarrassment and you were a part of that). Try and it and see how it makes you feel!

Alright, cheers for the tips.
I wanted your opinion on whether this is true or not. Today one of my teachers got super angry with me and called me sadistic, manipulative and spiteful all because she found out I helped a class mate get wrong answers on his coursework. I thought it would be funny and just wanted to see how ridiculously wrong I could make his answers, it was just a laugh really.

So for the last few years, since about the age of 10 I noticed that I do actually enjoy seeing people fail, hurt themselves or just struggle and I've always acted in a way which potentially makes it worse for that person, rather than help them. I've also noticed that I'm very manipulative, I don't really care who I upset as long as I end up getting my way. My parents have called me up on this before but I've never really taken notice, until today when my teacher also said it.

I just realised I have absolutely no empathy for anybody, I just target people who I feel would make my life easier and then exploit their weaknesses and use them to make my life better somehow. It's actually pretty messed up when I think of it like that. The thing that's strange is I simply don't care about doing it though, I just have no regrets when I look back on it.

I do have "friends" at school but again I don't really like them, I just befriend and use them to make my life more pleasant. I've also manipulated my parents, siblings and teachers in order to achieve various things.

Is my teacher right? Am I really a sadistic, manipulative spiteful person or does everyone do this? Doesn't everyone do this sort of thing? I thought it was pretty common, plus it's kind of fun to see how far you can push things.

I thought about going to the head teacher to report what she said but I'd probably get in more trouble than she would so, I'll just let it go.

What are your thoughts?

Give me an example of these 'manipulative' things.

Quick Reply

Latest