Turn on thread page Beta

Tough AQA Sociology Unit 6 Crime&Deviance watch

ReputationRep:
    First question (how crime relate to family, media & health): 1.i put Wilson & Hernstein's study of quality of socialization provided by the nuclear family.
    2. Cloward&Ohlin's Geographical Location of the youths which born in a family located in an area with established adult criminal culture.

Second Question( fomations of subculture): I m okay

Essay Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!(examin the usefulness of Quantitative & qualitative sources of date to study suicide):

I divided my answer into two parts :
    1. Quatitative data : mainly i talked about the advantages & drawbacks of Official Statistics with some examples which i forced to relate them into Suicide. :mad:

2. Qualitative data: By concerning Interactionist apporach of Labelling theorists, i started off with Goffman's study in asylums institutions by using Participant Observation, and examin some advantages and drawbacks with it.
    Then I put Lemert's Primary Deviance and Secondary Deviance approach, by relating those Deviance/mentally abnormal patients who committed primary deviance & being labelled, then they are involved into Secondary Deviance (suicide).

3. Conclusion, i wrote things which non-senses. (by end, i wrote 3 faces of pages)

how many marks do you guys reckon i can get, seriously, and what did you put???? cos at this stage i am really worried abt my grade......

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry It sounds like you have done fine. I filled up the whole book except for 1 page, but that was mainly evaluation waffle. Sounds like you have the major points down there though

ReputationRep:
    1. a) first i talked about carlen's study of female criminals who said they were dissillusioned with the patriarchal ideology of the family and rejected the "gender deal".
    secondly i talked about stan cohen's deviancy amplification by the media in brighton with the mods and rockers

b) i reeled off everything i knew about subcultures with analysis; from cloward and ohlin, a.k. cohen, miller, marxist subcultures etc but didn't have time for lea and young from a new realist perspective (had already written 2 sides with the others anyway!)

c) i wrote about durkheim and his positivist approach and how he used quantitative methods in his study of suicide and the advs. and disadvs. of that. then i wrote about douglas and his phenomenological approach and how he used qualitative methods in his study of suicide, advs. and disadvs. once again. then i threw in atkinson and how suicide statistics are in fact social constructions and how it would never be possible to know why people committed suicide with either quant. or qual. cos the subjects could never be asked or studied in person.

not sure i was specific enough in the last q tho. did plenty of names dropping tho, and managed to get out a good 3 and a half sides of non waffle (i have tiny writing, and that's the longest i've ever done an essay for sociology, which i was proud of!)

i think it went well. i knew my stuff inside and out which helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Investmentboy)
    Dont worry It sounds like you have done fine. I filled up the whole book except for 1 page, but that was mainly evaluation waffle. Sounds like you have the major points down there though
    thanks. i hope so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    1. a) first i talked about carlen's study of female criminals who said they were dissillusioned with the patriarchal ideology of the family and rejected the "gender deal".
    secondly i talked about stan cohen's deviancy amplification by the media in brighton with the mods and rockers

b) i reeled off everything i knew about subcultures with analysis; from cloward and ohlin, a.k. cohen, miller, marxist subcultures etc but didn't have time for lea and young from a new realist perspective (had already written 2 sides with the others anyway!)

c) i wrote about durkheim and his positivist approach and how he used quantitative methods in his study of suicide and the advs. and disadvs. of that. then i wrote about douglas and his phenomenological approach and how he used qualitative methods in his study of suicide, advs. and disadvs. once again. then i threw in atkinson and how suicide statistics are in fact social constructions and how it would never be possible to know why people committed suicide with either quant. or qual. cos the subjects could never be asked or studied in person.

not sure i was specific enough in the last q tho. did plenty of names dropping tho, and managed to get out a good 3 and a half sides of non waffle (i have tiny writing, and that's the longest i've ever done an essay for sociology, which i was proud of!)

i think it went well. i knew my stuff inside and out which helped!
    emmmm, sounds like a high A to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haotong)
    emmmm, sounds like a high A to me
    i don't think so, the only real bit of analysis i did was for the 2nd question and it 55% analysis and 45% knowledge for A2 marking

ReputationRep:
    I heard an upper sixth girl and teacher say the exam was great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    I heard an upper sixth girl and teacher say the exam was great!
    Yeh possibly too great tho, grade boundaries will prob go up.

Umm first one i wrote about media amplification... mods n rockers but couldnt think of a second point so wrote some crap down.

Second one I did bout Cohen and Cloward and Ohlin... and rambled quite a bit

Then for the essay I pretty much did positivism v phenom and ****ged off Durkheim a bit too much probably Official stats etc Atkinson on coroners... blah blah blah.

Think it went ok although theres loads of stuff I forgot to put in. My timing was a bit crap tho. Defo a much better paper than T+M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heather_the_nun)
    Yeh possibly too great tho, grade boundaries will prob go up.

Umm first one i wrote about media amplification... mods n rockers but couldnt think of a second point so wrote some crap down.

Second one I did bout Cohen and Cloward and Ohlin... and rambled quite a bit

Then for the essay I pretty much did positivism v phenom and ****ged off Durkheim a bit too much probably Official stats etc Atkinson on coroners... blah blah blah.

Think it went ok although theres loads of stuff I forgot to put in. My timing was a bit crap tho. Defo a much better paper than T+M
    phew, glad i put the right kinda things in!

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a dream paper, I didn't work all year at this module and only revised about 30% of what could have come up, so it was likely I was going to get screwed.. but I wasn't!! I only need a C to get an A overall so.. fingers crossed eh. Good luck for results, everyone!

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.