Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have received offers from Essex, UEA and Portsmouth universities. The problem is, I cant still decide which one to choose. My subject is Computer science, but also I am looking for a grear place to live, with good nightlife and not so hard to find a job somewhere.
    Please, give me many opinions with argument.
    Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Gediminas1)
    Hello,
    I have received offers from Essex, UEA and Portsmouth universities. The problem is, I cant still decide which one to choose. My subject is Computer science, but also I am looking for a grear place to live, with good nightlife and not so hard to find a job somewhere.
    Thank you
    I'm a student at UEA, so obviously biased towards here, but...

If looking at accommodation, it's pretty decent... I'm in ensuite, and it's modern and clean, and as good as any imo... The nightlife, you've got LCR twice a week (Tuesday: Damn Good; Saturday: A-List), as well as any other gigs happening ad-hoc throughout the week. Then there're also loads of things that happen in the city each night as well... Usually Sunday/Monday night are the chill out nights from what I see, and then the rest of the week you just go crazy... It's pretty cheap getting a taxi into the city if you're going with your mates (about £2-3 for there and back!)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I'm a student at UEA, so obviously biased towards here, but...

If looking at accommodation, it's pretty decent... I'm in ensuite, and it's modern and clean, and as good as any imo... The nightlife, you've got LCR twice a week (Tuesday: Damn Good; Saturday: A-List), as well as any other gigs happening ad-hoc throughout the week. Then there're also loads of things that happen in the city each night as well... Usually Sunday/Monday night are the chill out nights from what I see, and then the rest of the week you just go crazy... It's pretty cheap getting a taxi into the city if you're going with your mates (about £2-3 for there and back!)!
    Thanks for your comment. Could you say more about work opportunities while studying there ? Is there enough pubs/bars for student to get work ?

ReputationRep:
    I am completely messed now, because just found out that UEA is in the top ranking above all the others.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks for your comment. Could you say more about work opportunities while studying there ? Is there enough pubs/bars for student to get work ?
    I personally don't know much about that as I haven't looked for work, but I do know a fair few people who work, mostly in supermarkets, a few in pubs/bars, and then obviously the SU look for bar staff, LCR staff, UNIO staff, shop staff, as well as reception and marketing staff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I personally don't know much about that as I haven't looked for work, but I do know a fair few people who work, mostly in supermarkets, a few in pubs/bars, and then obviously the SU look for bar staff, LCR staff, UNIO staff, shop staff, as well as reception and marketing staff!
    As I can guess from your answers, there's a lot to do in that city - Norwich. Isn't it boring ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    As I can guess from your answers, there's a lot to do in that city - Norwich. Isn't it boring ?
    Depends what you make of it... I don't tend to go into the city that much, but I know people who go in all the time, and have loads of fun...

Loads of shopping, the castle, cathedral, loads of places to eat...

ReputationRep:
    I am completely messed now, because just found out that UEA is in the top ranking above all the others.
    Don't worry about rankings, consider what would make you happy. As for work- there are plenty of places to get part time jobs. There are loads of pubs and bars in Norwich alongside all the supermarkets and other shops that take on students. On campus itself from second year you can get a job in the campus pub, shop, coffee shop, nightclub e.c.t- towards end of your first year you'll get a link to apply to a whole list of jobs. Think they take all years on as student guides/ambassadors though.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Thank you
    Hey ,
    I am a current student at the Essex university and I have finished my LLB Law degree here. I have chosen to stay at Essex to continue my postgraduate studies because of the fact that the university offers a wide range of courses that a student could chose from, but also for the environment, the high teaching and academic level and the great job opportunities. I managed to gain the greatest experiences of my career (and life) during my years here, and meet excellent professionals and also learn from them! My CV looks rich and boosted thanks to the great job schemes and positions and I also managed to raise some money for my own interest. Moreover, I had the chance to enjoy the great experience of student life living in the student accomodation, the University Quays but as well my fellow law students, while living in the Towers, Meadows, South Courts and the Houses. I have never regretted my choice so far and I hope you choose wisely!

^andriana
    I

ReputationRep:
    UEA! 10 mins away from the city centre by bus so easy travel to a night out or to a job, a club venue of the LCR on site and the campus is surrounded by fields and lakes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.