Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am in my first year of university and I am going to try and get some consultancy/finance work experience over summer. I am just wondering whether it is better to try and get fewer placements for longer lengths of time or go to more places for shorter periods? Which looks better on cv?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's probably too late for the big strat consultancy and other insight weeks. Might be worth trying to get some informal finance stuff. Wouldn't go too long, a lot of firms especially in consultancy prefer first years to have 'life experiences' (read: enjoy your summer) then sweating it out in some office in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths97Student)
    Hi,

I am in my first year of university and I am going to try and get some consultancy/finance work experience over summer. I am just wondering whether it is better to try and get fewer placements for longer lengths of time or go to more places for shorter periods? Which looks better on cv?

Thanks
    summer internships should be sufficient in terms of work experience
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maths97Student)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Don't worry about it too much. If you can cold call a few startups based in London or some small businesses in your area to see if they need a hand with anything.

Of course apply to consulting internships in your penultimate year, but do bear in mind that they are more competitive in many cases than the grad scheme places because of how few spots are available. So, if you can, focus on getting any high tier finance internship (IBD/S&T/ER/AM) or an internship at a big name company (John Lewis, Tesco, Google, Nestlé, L'Oréal etc).

Consulting firms are looking for signals that you're capable via the brand names you have on your CV, this coupled with solid leadership experience and a great academic record (top uni, good a levels, 2:1 preferably a first) will get you interviews in your last year of uni for their grad scheme recruitment processes if you don't happen to land a consulting gig for your penultimate summer.

There are the usual summer insight, spring insight and insight day programs at some firms you could try for next year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.