Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey just wanted to get peoples thoughts on starting out straight from university in an AM/HF rather than spending the first couple years in IB then moving over to a HF.

I know it's extremely difficult to do, but hypothetically speaking - what's everyone's thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    if you can get into a hf, go straight to the buyside.

and if you enjoy AM, do that.. why the hell would you put yourself through the bs of sell-side, if you can go straight into what you want.

it's just harder to get into hf's without that sell-side experience, given it's the norm.

I asked somebody in the industry this and their advice to me was that with your very first graduate job it's better to go for the brand name. After that, pay, hours, etc. But you don't want to end up in a 'meh' middle market shop without much upside (what are their promotion rates like? Where are they ending up?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Hey just wanted to get peoples thoughts on starting out straight from university in an AM/HF rather than spending the first couple years in IB then moving over to a HF.

I know it's extremely difficult to do, but hypothetically speaking - what's everyone's thoughts?
    Brand name is everything as a junior in my opinion.

Even if you're actually very bad at your job, and there is a lot of people who are. Your 'value' or perceived worth is much higher if you've got strong brands backing you. It's like a big tick or multiple ticks of approval.

Imagine if you ever wanted to move out of finance. No one is going to have a clue of your HF/AM. Everyone knows the big banks.

For sure, people who start their career at big brand name corporates have significantly higher earning potential over their career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Brand name is everything as a junior in my opinion.

Even if you're actually very bad at your job, and there is a lot of people who are. Your 'value' or perceived worth is much higher if you've got strong brands backing you. It's like a big tick or multiple ticks of approval.

Imagine if you ever wanted to move out of finance. No one is going to have a clue of your HF/AM. Everyone knows the big banks.

For sure, people who start their career at big brand name corporates have significantly higher earning potential over their career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Erm, fairly sure people will know Fidelity, Blackrock etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Erm, fairly sure people will know Fidelity, Blackrock etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, but they are effectively big brand name corporates anyway. The majority of people move to HF/PE/AM firms that people outside of finance will not be overly familiar with compared to a name such as Goldman Sachs or Barclays.

Maybe I am skewed because I have a large number of friends who don't work in the industry.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Commercial Paper)
    Yes, but they are effectively big brand name corporates anyway. The majority of people move to HF/PE/AM firms that people outside of finance will not be overly familiar with compared to a name such as Goldman Sachs or Barclays.

Maybe I am skewed because I have a large number of friends who don't work in the industry.
    Very true, especially the more middle market firms that people tend to land in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    cheers everyone! Yeah I was just interested/curious to hear everyones thoughts

yeah I was thinking about the large HFs/AMs such as breven howard, blackrock and man group etc.. but I agree it would probably be best to start out at the larger banks as opposed to the small HFs/AMs

ReputationRep:
    Small buyside shops don't take uni graduates generally speaking. Investment roles at large AM/HF and any FO IB role are all imo the best possible places to start a finance career - they have huge resources to invest in your training and development. Your job market value after a few years in any of these starting destinations will be high. They're also ridic sought after so its a bad idea to be overly selective - landing something at either is infinitely better than nothing at all.

Going the graduate from ugrad/MBA->IB->buyside route is much more common than graduate->buyside purely because there is a much much higher aggregate intake on the sell side. Many more large IB firms recruiting grads than AM, and higher intake per firm.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.