Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am going to do Economics/Physics/Geography/History at AS and carrying 3 or 4 to those onto A2 in school. But Maths is always useful and may be beneficial to do... so, I want to do A-level Maths outside of school. I've looked at some local college websites (I am in Herts) but none of them seem to offer what I'm looking for, so I am considering doing A-level Maths with an internet learning place. ICS seem to be a good learning facility, as do RDI and OLCI. But anyway, questions are...

Have any of you done this before, and is it a recommended route... i.e., is it possible for me to get an A in the subject with a home-learning option or am I confined to a C or something? Good/Bad experiences?

Exam boards... are AQA/OCR respected more than EdExcel? Does it make a difference for Oxbridge application if I do an A-level in AQA or OCR rather than EdExcel (assuming grade is the same)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sleep)
    Exam boards... are AQA/OCR respected more than EdExcel? Does it make a difference for Oxbridge application if I do an A-level in AQA or OCR rather than EdExcel (assuming grade is the same)?
    Although some might say Edexcel are prone to make a few 'bungles', I believe that they are a very good exam board.

An A-grade in a subject from one exam board is equivalent to an A-grade in the same subject from another board. The only factors that should be taken into account when choosing which syllabus to do are whether the content of the course suits you (although all GCE boards have the common core), how you are examined (coursework and exams) and if the place of learning has had plenty of experience teaching that particular syllabus.

ReputationRep:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 30, 2004
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.