Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

So I had some microarray data for miRNA expression, the data showed that one particular miRNA of interest was upregulated in a particular cell line. However, my qPCR data claims that the miRNA is actually downregulated by a fair amount.

How is this then to be interpreted? My Google-fu skills seem to be off on this occasion. Is one set of data 'wrong'?

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Spudhead)
    Hey guys,

So I had some microarray data for miRNA expression, the data showed that one particular miRNA of interest was upregulated in a particular cell line. However, my qPCR data claims that the miRNA is actually downregulated by a fair amount.

How is this then to be interpreted? My Google-fu skills seem to be off on this occasion. Is one set of data 'wrong'?

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks!
    I couldn't possibly comment on the validity of your data or results, especially since I can't see them. If it's in the same particular cell line it is likely one of the sets of results is incoherent. Is there any way you can repeat the experiments? If you're just writing the report now, then you should try and find a way to explain the experimental flaw or anomalous result.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Spudhead)
    Hey guys,

Any help appreciated,
    Thanks!
    What are your sample sizes?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.