Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi! So here it goes...

    So for nearly 3 years now I have been studying Animation & Visual Effects. I'm in my second year currently. I had to re take the second year - No fault of my own. The University F**ked us over so we ended up getting compensation and a fee wavier for the re-take. HOWEVER baring in mind I was 18 when I started my course...I am now 21 and a completely different individual to who I was ...change is inevitable and it happened.
    Trying not to disappoint certain people I stupidly kept at it as long as I did trying to 'love' it again but it didn't happen and the course is no longer serving me...

    My passion is Psychology if I could turn back the hands of time I would to study that instead. Student Finance will only fund me for 1 year if I was to change course. Therefore I will have to find 2 years worth of funding!? That is impossible and it makes me depressed because I know it wont happen.
    BUT heres the thing...they fund you for 4 years in total...1 being a gift year.
    Technically student finance only has paid my tuition fees for 2 years(as I had a fee waiver for the re-take which the university paid for).
    So therefore I should really have 2 more years left of tuition funding as they only paid out for 2. So why have I been left with 1? If its because the retake is still being classed as a gift year...well It wasn't my fault what the University did to me.
    If I had 2 more years funding left that makes my dream of studying psychology more possible!

    I really regret the decisions I have made in the past...and I'm wondering if there is any possibility of hope out there I could be funded again for something I was meant to have done in the first place. Or maybe if there is another way around this?

    Thank you for reading!
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    1. You are going to have to get clarification from SFE as to why they regard the error year as a gift year. They must feel they funded you in some way for it to count. Did you get any maintenance of SFE for that year? You need someone to look at it as you dont give enough detail.
    2. They also need to investigate what settlement you reached with the Uni. You talk about compensation. Did you sign anything? You should probably have taken legal advice or made a complaint to the OIA within the time limiy yo state the compensation offered was inadequate. I think the deadline is 3 months from the date of the final letter in the Uni complaint procedure. It may be you are too late or have signed away your rights.
    4. You will need to talk to SFE again, but I suspect they have a clear line as to why you are classes as having used up the year in dispute and that by accpeting compensation from the Uni there was a full and final settlement clause, which prevents you from making a further claim..
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.