Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does Tinder automatically locate your location even if you don't use it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically met my girlfriend in one town, have been going out 3 months and now moved to another town together last week. I'm aware she had a Tinder account before we started going out as that's how we met. I deleted my account after we became 'exclusive' but I think she just stopped using it rather than deleting it. However I got a text from my buddy in the new town we live in yesterday with a screenshot of my girlfriends profile saying she was within 3 miles. My buddy said it probably doesn't mean anything as unactive profiles are kept on there for a while even after people stop being active on it. What's made me suspicious however is that it's updated her location. What I'd like to know is if this is just something Tinder automatically does if you have the app installed, or whether she'd have actively had to go onto her account in the last week since we moved here?

I hope it's nothing and I'm probably just being a bit paranoid. I don't want to confront her about it, because as I say it may just be that it updates automatically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ralphieinker90)
    So basically met my girlfriend in one town, have been going out 3 months and now moved to another town together last week. I'm aware she had a Tinder account before we started going out as that's how we met. I deleted my account after we became 'exclusive' but I think she just stopped using it rather than deleting it. However I got a text from my buddy in the new town we live in yesterday with a screenshot of my girlfriends profile saying she was within 3 miles. My buddy said it probably doesn't mean anything as unactive profiles are kept on there for a while even after people stop being active on it. What's made me suspicious however is that it's updated her location. What I'd like to know is if this is just something Tinder automatically does if you have the app installed, or whether she'd have actively had to go onto her account in the last week since we moved here?

I hope it's nothing and I'm probably just being a bit paranoid. I don't want to confront her about it, because as I say it may just be that it updates automatically.
    Why don't you just ask her about it? I have no idea why people like to make things so complicated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    or get friends to like her and see what she does.

Simply asking her can lead her to commit a cover up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ripjonsnow)

exactly. I don't want to ask her directly as like you say she may just cover it up. Also if it's a case of it just being her profile lingering and automatically updating her location then if I confront her it may cause an argument where ones not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered *cough* ethically monitoring *cough* your gfs phone?

ReputationRep:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yall are insecure and you don't trust your partners and that's why your relationships don't last or are very turbulent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ServantOfMorgoth)
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yall are insecure and you don't trust your partners and that's why your relationships don't last or are very turbulent.
    OP wants to find out, but he doesnt want to:

1. Weaken his relationship
    2. Accuse his GF of doing something if she actually hasnt
    3. Find out the TRUTH.

I hear girls do this kind of s*it all the time, so its goochi.

ReputationRep:
    OP wants to find out, but he doesnt want to:

1. Weaken his relationship
    2. Accuse his GF of doing something if she actually hasnt
    3. Find out the TRUTH.

I hear girls do this kind of s*it all the time, so its goochi.
    All he has to do is say, do you still use tinder, some people told me that they saw you on it.

It's really that simple. There will be no relationship weakening, no accucassions.

ReputationRep:
    All he has to do is say, do you still use tinder, some people told me that they saw you on it.

It's really that simple. There will be no relationship weakening, no accucassions.
    Then all she has to say is "no" and cover up any sign of trying to cheat.

ReputationRep:

I agree. I think honesty is the best way to go about it. People just need to talk about things. You don't have to be a total **** about it. Just say exactly what happened, your friend saw her on there and told you. Then see what she says. From her reaction you'll probably be able to tell what the answer is without even asking. But just discuss stuff man.

ReputationRep:
    This is where stuff gets hazy. I think if you can't be happy and trust them in this regard then, there are probably deeper issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richci)
    This is where stuff gets hazy. I think if you can't be happy and trust them in this regard then, there are probably deeper issues.
    Exactly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would he know that she's lying though? If she said no, why not believe her? Why would you be in a relationship with someone you don't trust? Or it could mean that he/you is just insecure and needs to work on himself/yourself.

If it turns out she's lying, the truth would turn up eventually but it's not your job to become an FBI agent just because you're in a loving relationship with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How would he know that she's lying though? If she said no, why not believe her? Why would you be in a relationship with someone you don't trust? Or it could mean that he/you is just insecure and needs to work on himself/yourself.

If it turns out she's lying, the truth would turn up eventually but it's not your job to become an FBI agent just because you're in a loving relationship with someone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because why be on tinder if you are in a relationship?
    That whole subject would raise a lot of flags in my head,

ReputationRep:
    Because why be on tinder if you are in a relationship?
    That whole subject would raise a lot of flags in my head,
    If you never got around to uninstalling the app, you still show up on the swipe list so I don't see how it's a big deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's automatic. Some people use it for talk and conversation, and there's no need to undermine trust in your girlfriend. If she say, matched with your friend (ie. you've seen your friend's phone, and that your friend isn't lying to you,) then maybe that's a whole different story.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    have you considered *cough* ethically monitoring *cough* your gfs phone?
    spying on her really isn't the best option or solution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emobambam)
    spying on her really isn't the best option or solution.
    And her potentially lying is?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    And her potentially lying is?
    I don't want to sound corny or anything but you cant have a relationship without trust. If he doesn't trust her then there's something wrong with the relationship. It's either because of her infidelities or his insecurities but there's a problem in the relationship. If that problem isn't fixed then the relationship will never have a chance to last. Spying on your partner isn't going to help you trust them more. Once there's suspicion and doubt there will always be suspicions and doubt. it will just make the person want to catch their mate lying even more.

ReputationRep:
    Say 'my mate charlie reckons tinder is full of scammers these days, he says he's just seen someone using your photo... isn't that awful?'

see how she reacts to that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.