Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So what's the etiquette when you get friend requests from random people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes get requests from people that I've never met with whom I have a mutual friend.

(Original post by monk1324)
    I sometimes get requests from people that I've never met with whom I have a mutual friend.
    I would ignore for the time being. If you meet someone in real life later on, they'll remember you and why you haven't accepted their request.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I usually ignore them.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    They go into Facebook purgatory :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I usually ignore them.

If I've never met them but there's like 80+ mutual friends I might accept it if they look hot for... research purposes.

ReputationRep:
    I never accept if I don't know who they are.. I don't want them to see every post I make and every photo I'm tagged in if I don't have a clue who they are!

ReputationRep:
    If I used it and we had mutual friends i'd accept and arrange a meeting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If I don't know them at all and especially if we have no friends in common, I delete the request and mark it as spam so they can't add me again.

ReputationRep:
    If they are hot (like a 4/10), I get all sweaty and I can't click accept fast enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    If I don't know them at all and especially if we have no friends in common, I delete the request and mark it as spam so they can't add me again.
    Haha, if you have no friends in common I think that's the normal reaction.

If they went to a similar institution (same university) I would still accept though, depends what they want?

Why pass up an opportunity to get to know someone who might be interesting / valuable?

ReputationRep:
    Decline it. I only add people I know personally

ReputationRep:
    Decline
    Always

ReputationRep:
    If you don't know them, don't add them, that's my usual policy with that sort of thing. If they're a friend of one of my friends I might conisder it though. But then I don't add people I know I won't talk to really, saves an awful lot of random stuff appearing on my feed.

ReputationRep:
    Accept.
    Send gore via message.
    Await deletion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I accept almost all friend requests on my public profile. I decline almost all friend requests on my private profile.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to delete them. Unless I've had at least some interaction with them on other posts and stuff, in which case if they seemed cool I have no problem with having them on my profile. But mines pretty empty/private anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I check them out, and if they sound interesting enough, I'll accept.

If it just looks like they added me for the sake of having me as a number on their list, then decline.
    Also, if after having accepted they don't interact with me at all for a while, I go back to delete them.

I've made a good number of genuine friends by just accepting them out of nowhere :cute:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.