The Student Room Group

Government and Politics A2 Unit 3C & Unit 4C June 2016 predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
How are we supposed to involve British politics in Unit 3C? I know the textbook includes comparisons of each country but I have no idea how we're actually supposed to incorporate it

Don't think you need to. I think they put it there to help with the understanding of theory. It's us politics so I don't think they really care about uk politics in your answers unless you somehow make it relevant to the question.
YO, I am the complete opposite, I cant do pressure groups to save my life! If you have any notes on PGs id be more than grateful if you cared to share them?
Original post by Foji
Hello guys, i'm just messaging for Government and politics 3c + 4c , to ask if anyone or their teacher has made any predictions, PLEASE let me know :smile: ! Also, what topics do people like? In my opinion, political parties is a bit, meh ... To write a full 15 marker or 45 marker purely on e.g social conservatism is boring... Nevertheless, pressure groups is beautiful :biggrin:! Anyways, any predictions or revision tips, please share them and I will do the same whenever I find any materials :smile: Thank you.
Would it be appropriate to discuss Black Lives Matter in racial and ethnic politics? I feel like it would be but my teacher doesn't seem to have mentioned it making me doubt it
Original post by MaryCullen
Ok not being funny but none of my teachers have said anything about the AOs... what are they?

AO1: Knowledge and Understanding (what you know) (worth 5 marks in 15 markers; 12 marks in 45 markers)
A02 Analysis: How you make use of what you know (worth 7 marks in 15 markers; 12 marks in 45 markers)
A02 Synoptic: how you relate it to other areas of the US political system (not assessed in 15 markers; worth 12 in 45 markers)
A03 communication: how you structure your argument (worth 3 marks in 15 markers; 9 marks in 45 markers)
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Would it be appropriate to discuss Black Lives Matter in racial and ethnic politics? I feel like it would be but my teacher doesn't seem to have mentioned it making me doubt it

Yeah they're a pressure group
Made a revision list for today/tomorrow morning for the exam if anyone wants to see it...
https://aleveluspolitics.co.uk/2017/06/advised-last-minute-revision-unit-3c-exam-120617/
Any predictions for tomorrow? Good luck everyone!
Seems like for the essays the examiners are really keen on party divisions. Literally in any paper, they have either a 15 marker or 45 marker on divisions between/within both parties.
Elections- mostly about reform and how democratic they are. I've noticed they like the Electoral College and sometimes third party candidates.
Also noticed they love identity politics Q's, Latino & Black voters especially.
this is what soemone messaged me! do u have anything u want to add or predictions ah, my teacher thinks for sure race will come and party decline, but political parties wont be the 45 mark as it has come up for 4 years in a row
v�=��]�;{���
Original post by Alex7177
YO, I am the complete opposite, I cant do pressure groups to save my life! If you have any notes on PGs id be more than grateful if you cared to share them?
Original post by Foji
Your teacher is quite braindead then, because Trump's win was many months after the papers were created. Unless edexcel can read the future, I don't think it'll come up as specific as that.

When are they written?
Reply 29
Original post by tsrolivia
When are they written?

Generally speaking 12 months before the exam, so usually around May/June in the previous year when Trump's campaign was only just gaining traction.
Reply 30
Guys, Donald Trump has been said to be a fiscal conservative. But his recent leglisations and actions prove otherwise? e.g his push for the mexican wall which may cost congress about 2bn, also he has infrastructure plans costing MANY hundreds of billions. This all contributes to gov debt and promotes 'big gov'. What type of conservative is he? I don't want to say moderate loool, and he's not really socially conservative like Pence... HELP PLS
Reply 31
Original post by Foji
Guys, Donald Trump has been said to be a fiscal conservative. But his recent leglisations and actions prove otherwise? e.g his push for the mexican wall which may cost congress about 2bn, also he has infrastructure plans costing MANY hundreds of billions. This all contributes to gov debt and promotes 'big gov'. What type of conservative is he? I don't want to say moderate loool, and he's not really socially conservative like Pence... HELP PLS

If something like that does come up as a question, you've already answered half of it yourself. Most modern politicians don't fall into one category as outside interests pull them in different directions and it's also unlikely that you'll get a specific question on trump, but with the points you've used you can argue that he is both fiscally conservative and then use the points you mentioned to argue it the other way in the space of an evaluative paragraph.
Any predictions for 45 markers guys?
Reply 33
apparently nomination process
Original post by jkns
apparently nomination process

yaassssss
Reply 36

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the past paper booklet my college gave me suggests that if one topic comes up in 2 15s, it cannot come up in a 45. Yet you (or whoever wrote this) have elections predicted as 2 15s and a 45, which as far as I know has never happened before.

The 'sets of threes' argument is when it came up 3 times in the same year (as there used to be Jan and June papers for resits) but never in the same paper.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong because elections is my strongest topic and i'd love it to come up as a 45 and 2 15s.
1545mq.PNG
Original post by JamesM8
Stop me if I'm wrong, but the past paper booklet my college gave me suggests that if one topic comes up in 2 15s, it cannot come up in a 45. Yet you (or whoever wrote this) have elections predicted as 2 15s and a 45, which as far as I know has never happened before.

The 'sets of threes' argument is when it came up 3 times in the same year (as there used to be Jan and June papers for resits) but never in the same paper.

Again, please correct me if I'm wrong because elections is my strongest topic and i'd love it to come up as a 45 and 2 15s.

Yes, it is I who wrote this. I disagree and I have the stats to prove it :smile:
2015- 15 mark I believe are elections & voting: Why has campaign finance reform had such limited success? and Assess the reasons why third parties have such a limited impact in US politics
The 45 marker in 2015 which I believe is elections & voting: ‘Local factors are more important than national factors.’ To what extent is this true of the congressional midterm elections?

I think it has happened in 2012June, 2011 June and 2011 Jan also but I mean you can check through: (I cannot be bothered)
https://aleveluspolitics.co.uk/3c-15-mark/
and https://aleveluspolitics.co.uk/3c-45-mark/

On the set of threes this is what I mean...
Attachment not found
Reply 38
Original post by pereira325
1545mq.PNG

Yes, it is I who wrote this. I disagree and I have the stats to prove it :smile:
2015- 15 mark I believe are elections & voting: Why has campaign finance reform had such limited success? and Assess the reasons why third parties have such a limited impact in US politics
The 45 marker in 2015 which I believe is elections & voting: ‘Local factors are more important than national factors.’ To what extent is this true of the congressional midterm elections?

I think it has happened in 2012June, 2011 June and 2011 Jan also but I mean you can check through: (I cannot be bothered)

You are very wrong. The 3rd party failing question isn't in the elections topic, it's in the political party topic. It's a crossover between two, but the examination board counted it as a political party question.
Reply 39
[QUOTE="Foji;72068474"]
Original post by pereira325
1545mq.PNG

You are very wrong. The 3rd party failing question isn't in the elections topic, it's in the political party topic. It's a crossover between two, but the examination board counted it as a political party question.

This.

The whole exam is designed in a way so it's a huge risk to 'skip' topics. If one topic could come up as a 45 and 2 15s, someone who guessed correctly could answer 3 of the 4 questions having only revised one topic.

I have a booklet of every exam q they've ever set and there is no instance of 3 questions from 1 topic in one single exam. Elections is likely to be a 45 this year and a 15, not 2 15s and a 45.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending