Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Shaw Academy: A £395 Course for free?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I recently discovered that Shaw Academy are doing a promotion on their courses in that they are offering one course (normally costing £395) for free.

I'm considering signing up to one, particularly a one month course on Investment. Is there anyone here that has a familiarity with this promotion or can identify any flaws with it?

Any help is much appreciated.

Note: I'm not intending this post to be an advertisement; if you think this sounds like an advert please re-phrase it instead of taking it down!

ReputationRep:
    Just signed up to a course.

It starts early June, lasting for around a month. There'll be online seminars where you can talk to people about the course and stuff. I didn't have to enter any payment details; there is a mention of a small fee to be sent a certificate though.

Looks interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I did one of their free courses in Social Media Marketing last year. They normally teach using live webinars in the evenings, so sometimes I had to miss some because of work. I wouldn't pay for another course because it doesn't suit my timing. The course content was interesting and I liked the interactivity. The lecturer was very knowledgeable and fun, which made webinars more enjoyable.

For certification, you do have to pay (£16). The one thing I didn't like was the constant emails, promotion and phone calls selling the next level of the course and the Shaw Academy subscription.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    I did one of their free courses in Social Media Marketing last year. They normally teach using live webinars in the evenings, so sometimes I had to miss some because of work. I wouldn't pay for another course because it doesn't suit my timing. The course content was interesting and I liked the interactivity. The lecturer was very knowledgeable and fun, which made webinars more enjoyable.

For certification, you do have to pay (£16). The one thing I didn't like was the constant emails, promotion and phone calls selling the next level of the course and the Shaw Academy subscription.
    Ah yeah, I did start the Investment course but couldn't be bothered to finish it. I only saw about 20 minutes of a live seminar thing, and that was tedious. The tutor was Mexican and dragged everything on by being too interactive - he would ask a question and then spend the next five minutes saying 'Good answer, Joe, Great answer Steve, Interesting, Margaret', etc.

They had a quiz after every session, which I just guessed for the first two tests without seeing the webinars and still passed. Didn't pass the others by guessing though, so I gave up. It seemed easier to just learn it all by Google.

The spam calls and emails were rediculous. If I didn't answer a call, they would just leave a voicemail everytime. Even after the course had finished there was an email multiple times per week of a 'Limited time offer'. I can't remember if I had to delete my account or not to stop them.

ReputationRep:
    I think as a free intro course, mine was ok, but I wouldn't pay £395 (which is the "normal price" for it).

I had to unsubscribe from the emails, and I was getting a lot of calls from Shaw Academy! I think I blocked their number in the end. :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 11, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.