Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The answer is probably obvious but thought I'd check. I was considering doing ABRSM music theory 1, but it seems very easy, can I skip it and do grade 2 without grade 1? Is it possible to do two at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by henryhenry)
    The answer is probably obvious but thought I'd check. I was considering doing ABRSM music theory 1, but it seems very easy, can I skip it and do grade 2 without grade 1? Is it possible to do two at the same time?
    Yep. I first started out on piano years ago, then progressed onto Clarinet, but by that time it was much easier to progress faster due to my previous music experience so I started on grade 5. You do need to pass grade 5 theory before doing higher grades, but no limitations on lower ones.

ReputationRep:
    Just go straight to grade five and spend longer over preparing for it if you need. I did it when I was 13 having done no previous grades and not being exceptionally musical - took me about a term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    Just go straight to grade five and spend longer over preparing for it if you need. I did it when I was 13 having done no previous grades and not being exceptionally musical - took me about a term.
    Is the learning curve really so shallow? Thanks for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Yep. I first started out on piano years ago, then progressed onto Clarinet, but by that time it was much easier to progress faster due to my previous music experience so I started on grade 5. You do need to pass grade 5 theory before doing higher grades, but no limitations on lower ones.
    Cheers for the info

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the info
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    Is the learning curve really so shallow? Thanks for your advice!
    I think I used the 'Music Practice Series' (think I had grades 3-5, can't remember perfectly) by ABRSM and also this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-guide-Mu...AY51CQ3YXJ8Y6D

It comes it two parts. I'd suggest picking it up if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Des_Lumières)
    I think I used the 'Music Practice Series' (think I had grades 3-5, can't remember perfectly) by ABRSM and also this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AB-guide-Mu...AY51CQ3YXJ8Y6D

It comes it two parts. I'd suggest picking it up if you can.
    Brilliant thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    I did 3rd grade first, then skipped to 5th grade, did 5th grade theory last year and I am taking 7th grade in November...so, yes you can skip!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.