Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've a question regarding the residency aspect of the eligibility requirements, which have left me a touch confused. I'm English, and lived in England until I moved over to Belfast to study for my undergraduate degree. I graduated in Dec '14 with a BA. I lived there for the purpose of study, but hung around until May '15 while I was looking for job opportunities in London. I found something and moved over and have been living here ever since.

I plan to go back to university to study for a Masters, although I have no concrete plans and have made no applications yet. However, my partner lives in Belfast and I also wanted to go back over to spend some time with him before starting a Masters degree, which would likely be somewhere in England/Scotland as the NI universities don't provide a course I'm interested in taking. If I decided to move back to Belfast some time in the next few months to spend a couple of months with him, am I making myself ineligible for the loan? My stay there would be temporary because I would be planning to leave again, but it seems to me that because England wouldn't be the most recent place I'd have physically been living in before the start of the course, I wouldn't be eligible? I also suppose I can assume that if I wanted to stay in Belfast for a bit longer and then apply for university in 2017, I would absolutely be ineligible for the English Postgraduate Loan, right? Although I'd be no more eligible for the NI one either...

Hope you can help.

T.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ToniLB)
    Hi,

I've a question regarding the residency aspect of the eligibility requirements, which have left me a touch confused. I'm English, and lived in England until I moved over to Belfast to study for my undergraduate degree. I graduated in Dec '14 with a BA. I lived there for the purpose of study, but hung around until May '15 while I was looking for job opportunities in London. I found something and moved over and have been living here ever since.

I plan to go back to university to study for a Masters, although I have no concrete plans and have made no applications yet. However, my partner lives in Belfast and I also wanted to go back over to spend some time with him before starting a Masters degree, which would likely be somewhere in England/Scotland as the NI universities don't provide a course I'm interested in taking. If I decided to move back to Belfast some time in the next few months to spend a couple of months with him, am I making myself ineligible for the loan? My stay there would be temporary because I would be planning to leave again, but it seems to me that because England wouldn't be the most recent place I'd have physically been living in before the start of the course, I wouldn't be eligible? I also suppose I can assume that if I wanted to stay in Belfast for a bit longer and then apply for university in 2017, I would absolutely be ineligible for the English Postgraduate Loan, right? Although I'd be no more eligible for the NI one either...

Hope you can help.

T.
    Hi

To get a Postgraduate Loan you have to have lived in the UK (or EU if you’re an EU national) for at least three years before the start of your course, and ordinarily live in England.

This means that your permanent home has to be in England immediately before the start of your course. So if you were to move to Belfast, other than for education, you would become ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland.

This would be the same if you started your course in 2017.

Laura

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Laura. But surely an extended stay/holiday in Belfast wouldn't count? I was also under the impression that you could be in another part of the world for temporary employment too (as long as you can show that it is temporary), as guidance elsewhere suggests, without this making you ineligible?

Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.