Turn on thread page Beta

AEA Chemistry, anyone? watch

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from doing this exam. I am pretty sure I will get an ungraded, because I stumbled early on and then managed my time very poorly, and then made a very bad decision (I chose the Section C question about isomers because the first part was easy, but the second was disgusting! On reflection I could've done really well if I'd chosen the first question).

Oh well, at least it wasn't a vital exam.

was going to do AEA chem, but its a 3 hour exam with AQA!!!!
    my friend did it though, he was the only one in my tiny sixth form that did!

ReputationRep:
    i took AEA chem too. i ddnt do well but i still quite enjoyed the exam. i thought the inorganic was really hard!

ReputationRep:
    I did it too.
    I thought the first question wasn't too bad.

Physical chemistry was OK
    Inorganic was evil!
    Organic again not too bad

Essay question
    did the one on rates of reaction, but ran out of time having written only a side and a half

Looking forward to a nice smiley grade! U

(Original post by JeremyG)

Looking forward to a nice smiley grade! U
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Do people ever get conditional university offers that ask them to pass AEAs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    was going to do AEA chem, but its a 3 hour exam with AQA!!!!
    my friend did it though, he was the only one in my tiny sixth form that did!
    We had three people do it from our sixth form(out of 70) - two of them (including myself) are going on to do chemistry at Uni. I'm mainly doing it in order to get a £4k scholarship to uni.

I didnt think the exam itself was that hard. Certainly mind (and wrist) numbing, but with lateral thinking it was clear. On the big wordy questions at the end, I had a go at the isomerism one (probably a bad idea), and with some of the wordy ones it wasnt clear where 4 marks were going to be allocated though. All in all I thought it was OK balanced.

ReputationRep:
    Well i can safely say I have flunked that paper, it made A level chemistry look even easier than it already was. The section a of part 5 was the essay i chose, the easiest bit in the paper

Hope everyone gets what they need for uni

Mac

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonance)
    Do people ever get conditional university offers that ask them to pass AEAs?
    Warwick want a merit in AEA Maths or 1,2 in STEP I and II (can't remember, not doing Maths in Warwick). I'm not sure what the Oxbridge's views on AEA are. Cambridge want's 1 & 1 in STEP II and III, but not saying anything about AEA. One of the maths lecturer wrote something on how to solve STEP questions. In it,

The Advanced Extension Award
    The new world class tests, now called Advanced Extension Awards, were taken for the first time in 2002. It is too early yet to say to what extent (if at all) they will replace STEP. One difficulty is that they are aimed at the top 10% or so of the A-level cohort; i.e. at the top 7000 or so. STEP is aimed at the top 1000 or so. This difference matters, because in mathematics (though not perhaps in other subjects) it is important to match the difficulty of the question and the ability of the candidates exactly. Another difficulty is that (at present), the AEA mathematics contains questions on only the core A-level syllabus: no statistics and (more important) no mechanics. Many of my colleagues believe that, apart from the resulting reduction of choice, this is undesirable because it sends out the wrong signals about the importance of these other areas of mathematics.
    I didn't say it. He thinks AEA maths is Micky Mouse stuff.

(Original post by ianjc)
    We had three people do it from our sixth form(out of 70) - two of them (including myself) are going on to do chemistry at Uni. I'm mainly doing it in order to get a £4k scholarship to uni.
    We had about 10 people doing it this morning, including me. Someone should have told me doing 2 3-hours exams in a day is bad for your health. I thought it was a fair paper. If I have had an extra 20 minutes, I could have finished it. Spent too long Q2. Wasted too much time....

ReputationRep:
    I also ran out of time (ouch), but really not too stressed since I think I managed the "interesting" questions anyways. I did choose 5a (rates/equilibrium question) but barely managed a to write one page of the answer.

And yes inorganic was a bit of a disaster... by several rather unconvincing manouvers I put something down for every section, but it took ages.

I think the AEA/STEP issue really only apply to Maths... maths can have a lot of potential for flexibility basing on what you know, I think. Sometimes you can't really do that in chemistry, say, make up an organic reaction you have never heard of.

Overall I think it is an interesting paper. Certainly enjoyable in a mind-bending way.

selkie

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend with an offer for Maths at Cambridge who was required to do STEP, and would've done it today.

As for AEA Maths only catering towards Pure and neglecting Mechanics and Stats etc, well the problem there lies in the fact that not everybody does the same options. You could argue that a solution would be to give choices of questions, I guess. I actually think that testing you on Pure maths alone is the smartest idea. It seems like the logical choice when you're trying to make students push themselves, experiment and be creative in Maths.

By the way I was one of two people who sat the exam today. My college includes something like 800 AS/A-level students, out of which 16 do A2 chemistry. The other person who sat the exam told me he quite liked it. I have to say I did enjoy doing it but when I didn't manage my time properly and it became an issue I couldn't really enjoy it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by selkie222)
    I think the AEA/STEP issue really only apply to Maths... maths can have a lot of potential for flexibility basing on what you know, I think. Sometimes you can't really do that in chemistry, say, make up an organic reaction you have never heard of.

Overall I think it is an interesting paper. Certainly enjoyable in a mind-bending way.

selkie
    I agree. In Maths a question can appear absolutely unsolvable, and yet it does not require anything off syllibus to do it. In today's paper, I think was questions3, the (BN) thing, it is similar in style compare to AEA Maths. You've never seen it before, it's not a syllibus and you should be able to it without problem. The A'level syllibus of any subjects is only showing a tiny fraction of what subject really is. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of reactions, perhaps thousands, that we've never seen before and yet, we should be able solve it without too much difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have the paper to post?

in terms of AEAs &offers, my cam offer is AAAB or AAA + Merit. It wasn't in any of my other offers.

My friend's cam offer is AAA+ Distinction.Ouch!

I thought it was very loooooong really ran out of time

Rosie

ReputationRep:
    Ouch indeed!

I assume you're going on to a Chemistry degree then?

I hope everybody gets the results they need come 19/8.

Ouch indeed!

I assume you're going on to a Chemistry degree then?

I hope everybody gets the results they need come 19/8.
    no we have both applied for biological natural sciences and for both of us, our AEAs could be in anything -we both took them in Bio & Chem.

I know I haven't got anything in Chem, but Im hopeful of maybe a merit in Biology - itwas much easier- but then itwouldbe easier for everyone.

I do think asking for a distinction is very harsh. Isn't it something like only 10%of people get a D and only people roughly in top 10% of alevel group take it anyway? (i am not sure this applies to me however!)

my offer's a bituseless. AAAB or AAB + Merit wouldve been better!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, your offer equates an AEA merit to a B! Perhaps that was meant to apply to you in case you wanted to drop your fourth A level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    no we have both applied for biological natural sciences and for both of us, our AEAs could be in anything -we both took them in Bio & Chem.

I know I haven't got anything in Chem, but Im hopeful of maybe a merit in Biology - itwas much easier- but then itwouldbe easier for everyone.

I do think asking for a distinction is very harsh. Isn't it something like only 10%of people get a D and only people roughly in top 10% of alevel group take it anyway? (i am not sure this applies to me however!)

my offer's a bituseless. AAAB or AAB + Merit wouldve been better!
    My friend got a distinction last year in Chem and he didn't finish the paper either. Then again, if you have done well in the olympiads, then you don't need worry a lot. He only got a silver in chemoly last year. Nothing to worry about.

(Original post by Camford)
    My friend got a distinction last year in Chem and he didn't finish the paper either. Then again, if you have done well in the olympiads, then you don't need worry a lot. He only got a silver in chemoly last year. Nothing to worry about.
    The school didn't even bother sending off my chem olympiad paper, it was that poor

rosie

Yeah, your offer equates an AEA merit to a B! Perhaps that was meant to apply to you in case you wanted to drop your fourth A level?
    Yeah, I think so.. but blech! AAB would have been much nicer

rsoei

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.